• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water Magnet vs. Meg Microfiber Chamois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water Magnet vs. Meg Microfiber Chamois

Have a chance to buy several NOS Meguiar's X2070 Microfiber Chamois that Meg discontinued. Anyone know if this is a totally different product than the Water Magnet X2000? Why discontinued? Thx, Dave

Re: Water Magnet vs. Meg Microfiber Chamois

The Water Magnets are waffle weave MF towels. Pretty different from the chamois style.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

All I can say is I wish I had a crate of Water Magnets, they work awesome!!

Comment

Anyone have experience with the discontinued Meguiar's Microfiber Chamois (product #X2070). All I know is that it's a smooth wipe compared to the waffle texture of the WM. Thanks, Dave

Comment

I prefer waffle-weave microfiber (Water Magnets and others) but I do like the Soft Touch Microfiber Chamois a lot.

To me, it's much like a natural chamois but better. It works like I think a natural chamois "should," only better, but doesn't have the drawbacks of an animal carcass.

The Absorber and other synthetic "chamois" work similarly but I prefer the Soft Touch Microfiber (formerly know as the Microfiber Super Suede Drying Cloth). It feels smoother and sticks to the surface less.

Compared to waffle-weave, it feels like it holds less water. But unlike waffle-weave, you can wring it out and get back most of the performance. A waffle-weave may last one car (or less if it''s a big car/truck) but the "chamois" can do many if you keep wringing it.

It can leave very small residual water drops (as can any synthetic or natural chamois) so the ideal method is to use it for the bulk of the drying and follow up with a fast, light wipe with,... a waffle-weave microfiber.

That may sound like it's missing the point a bit, but it would allow you to do many cars with just one of each.

The other drawback of any "chamois" is that the smooth surface doesn't give any hiding places for grit. That raises the odds of scratching if you haven't washed off absolutely all dirt from the surface before drying.

So if you like a "chamois," I think the Soft Touch Microfiber Chamois is the second best tool available. The first is its big brother from Meg's marine line (which has also been discontinued ).

pc

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');