• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can't get scratch X to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't get scratch X to work

hey guys,

yesterday i tried to get some hairline scratches out using the ScratchX 2.0

I read about how you have to know how to use it, and to use it with passion...and the technique is to work it in...

I gave the car a good wash...(didn't use paint cleaner or clay bar tho)
    but it was REALLY CLEAN

i also gave it like 3-4 passes NEVER letting it RUB DRY

the scratches are kinda still there though, (these were hairline scratches, not deep scratches) I expected them to dissapear

what am i doing wrong???

Re: can't get scratch X to work

If you used the product correctly, it may mean you need a more aggressive product. It may be worth purchasing some Ultimate Compound and seeing if that will do the trick, followed by a polish and wax. However, it's good you used ScratchX because it was one of the least aggressive methods to remove the scratches, but now since you didn't have any luck it may be time to bump it up a bit.

Comment

Hi Brendan, you said that you never let the pad dry, but you should not make the pad too wet too, for it will be reduce it's cutting ability...

maybe you should try it again with less product, and try to work against the direction of the scratch ( it's some tip from meguiar Iphone app )

if it's still doesn't work, yeah, maybe you need to step to more aggressive product like UC

Good luck sir
      Proud to be part of Meguiars Family

Comment

Originally posted by PhantomMagician View Post
        Hi Brendan, you said that you never let the pad dry, but you should not make the pad too wet too, for it will be reduce it's cutting ability...

maybe you should try it again with less product, and try to work against the direction of the scratch ( it's some tip from meguiar Iphone app )

if it's still doesn't work, yeah, maybe you need to step to more aggressive product like UC

Good luck sir

i mean, i did kinda let it dry...but after a few dry wipes, i would make sure to put more product on....

i'm scared that I rubbed too hard, cuz right now it seems that there is a kinda white 2 inch by 6 inch section where i was rubbing (the long way) on the scratch on the bumper there this morning, even after i waxed it back with tech wax....

did i cut through the clearcoat?? the section i was rubbing looks different in shade of black....what can i do??

Comment

I was using a MF towel to apply the scratchx 2.0 and not a pad

Comment

Ya if scratch x don't work, use Ultimate Compound. Some paint is more harder than other, from what I learned. I'll use ultimate compound to take out swirls and scratches on my customers cars and they always come out with ease, but then I tried the same method on my 1988 Honda, and I think I need something even more aggressive than Ultimate Compound because I'd have to go over my car alot of times with UC probably just to get everything out. Also, I take it your working by hand? You gotta do like a small section at a time, espicially by hand. Don't let the product dry on the car or it will be a $#@! to remove it. Put some on the pad and work an area doing multiple passes with firm pressure. After you start to see it dry, take a microfiber and start buffing it all off. Then look and see what it did and figure out if you need to go over it again or move on. You really need a Dual Action Polisher for that, it ***** paint correcting by hand!

Comment

Also, use something else besides a microfiber to put it on, like a terry cloth. With my dual action polisher, i have certain pads I have to use with scratch x and ultimate compound because they are just a lil bit more rougher than the pads I use to wax or polish. I have to turn the speed up to 4-5 which is almost up all the way, and add pressure when Im applying that stuff, work a little square and then buff it off before it dries, and move on. If you let it dry, that might be the "white" your seeing. What color is the car?

Comment

Originally posted by The Wash Doc View Post
                Also, use something else besides a microfiber to put it on, like a terry cloth. With my dual action polisher, i have certain pads I have to use with scratch x and ultimate compound because they are just a lil bit more rougher than the pads I use to wax or polish. I have to turn the speed up to 4-5 which is almost up all the way, and add pressure when Im applying that stuff, work a little square and then buff it off before it dries, and move on. If you let it dry, that might be the "white" your seeing. What color is the car?
                i'm not really "letting it dry"

In fact, i keep on rubbing it with product and wipe everything off dry at the end.

The color of the car is BLACK...

ru suggesting to use a rougher kind of applicator, like a terry cloth?

Comment

I'm not exactly sure about the terry cloth. I used Scratch-X before, using a microfiber applicator pad now that I think about it and it worked like it's suppose to. I was just using it to remove the scratches by all the door handles and it worked great. If it's not working on your car, your probably gonna have to step it up to Ultimate Compound which is like 7 bucks at Wal-Mart. Ultimate Compound is what I use when I'm paint correcting the entire vehicle and I just use Scratch-X as like a spot cleaner. It's all about your technique- how much product you use, how hard should you press down, how many passes, etc. Your arm is going to be wore out!

Comment

Also, try using a foam applicator pad instead of microfiber

Comment

Originally posted by The Wash Doc View Post
                      Also, try using a foam applicator pad instead of microfiber

yeahh...i'm going to try to use the foam pad next time....i mean, i'm not sure where to draw the line of how much "passion" to rub...i'm scared that i might cut right through the clearcoat....

i'm going to make sure the pad is CLEAN and gradually APPLY SOME PRESSURE, not too much though...

thanks!

Comment

I think it would take alot of rubbing and alot of a paint cleaner (Swirl X, Ultimate Compound) to actually take your clear coat off! Especially by hand, so I think you'll be OK! Remember, all these paint cleaners (Swirl X, Scratch X, Ultimate Compound) have micro-abrasive technology which means the more you rub product onto your paint, the less abrasive it becomes because it some how diminish's quickly, which is actually good because it keeps people from really messing their paint jobs up. Other auto detailing brands out there have products like compound and other abrasive things which if you don't use them right, you will mess your paint up, because the abrasives don't break down and your just constantly scratching up your car. Also i read on a post a while back that if you do paint correcting by hand, make sure that when your putting pressure on the pad when applying the product, don't push down with just your finger tips, use your whole hand because you can actually make fingerprint like marks in your paint! Good luck man, im sure you'll figure it all out, I did!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');