• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dried wax marring paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dried wax marring paint?

is it possible that dried on wax could mar the paint?

like when im wiping the wax off the car some of it gets on the rag and hardens a little bit and was wondering if that could mar the paint??

Re: Dried wax marring paint?

Well, in my experience yes, that's why many instructions on waxes recommend turning the towels frequently. However, if the wax is applied really thin, it would take a while for the microfiber rag to "load up" with dried wax. Marring could also occur when one uses too much pressure in removing the wax. What i'd do is to shake up or "snap" the towel a bit after each panel to remove the dried up wax from the towel.

I'd use 2 towels to remove the wax to be sure, but using the correct technique you can actually use only one towel. First pass in removing wax, use light pressure to remove the wax bulk, flip the towel, then remove the rest of the residue.

Comment

Re: Dried wax marring paint?

Sounds like you may be applying too much wax/sealant to begin with. The proper amount should be hardly visible on the pant. I use less than an ounce of product to do my SUV and about a half ounce to do my MR2. You need to wait until it has set-up for removal and you can test for this using a swipe test. Gently swipe the film with your fingertip and if it smears it's not yet ready. The time it takes varies from 15-20 minutes to a couple hours depending on the temperature and humidity.

Secondly, you say you are using a "rag" for wax removal. I'd suggest you purchase several quality microfiber towels for removal of wax. I mark these towels with a permanent marker and only use these towels for wax/sealant removal and no other purpose. These towels are the only thing keeping you from marring your paint. I take extra care to keep them pristine. I fold them into quarters and gently wipe off a panel. If the wax was applied thinly and has set-up, it will come off clean with little pressure. Refold the towel to expose fresh areas and continue on to the next pane. I usually use 3 or 4 towels when I remove wax.
      Jim
      My Gallery

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');