• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginner Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner Questions

I have just ordered a G110V2, I have a 2 month old Nissan Black Murano, that apparently has the "DISO" , With all the reading I have done recently , I guess that is not all too uncommon ? the swirls really showed up with the lighting in my garage. It bothered me so much I began a mission to find out what I could about paint detailing, and now I have the DA polisher on the way. I have my wife's older 06 Altima to let's say practice on and get used to the tool and hopefully get a feel for the products and pads.
    Any particular recommendations or warnings for 2 month old car paint. Or just follow the guides. I did go thru the personalized rx recommendation guide and have the recommendation from that - Gold Class Wash, Scratchx , NXT2 Wax , Spray Detail. I was wondering about Claying , it did not recommend that, ? Is that something I should avoid on a newer car ?
    I also went thru the personalized rx thing for the 06 Altima and it did include claying as a recommended step. Just wondering, everything I have read seems to indicate it should be done ?

The Murano's paint does feel a little rough , but it also is still in really good shape other than the swirls. I can see a kinda orange peel effect , not sure what to think about that. Either way I have seen alot of before and after projects detailed on the forum and have caught the bug to get both of our vehicles in good shape and keep them that way,

Thanks

Re: Beginner Questions

FYI, just to clarify , the paint job is not 2 months old. Its just a new car I bought 2 months ago. I will have to check vin to see about when it was painted in production.

Comment

Claying is always a good thing...especially if the paint feels rough. The orange peel is something you will have to live with.
      Black......the ONLY color!

Comment

Forgive my ignorance, is the orange peel effect a symptom of a imperfect paint job ? or is it considered normal
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 2011Murano View Post
          Forgive my ignorance, is the orange peel effect a symptom of a imperfect paint job ? or is it considered normal
          Thanks
          Orange peel is normal. Only way to get rid of it is by wet sanding and repolishing, very difficult and expensive...

I would clay before doing any paint correction. The da is surprisingly easy to use, be sure to read up and watch some of the videos here if you haven't already done so.
          Joel
          1976 Cutlass S
          2001 PT Cruiser
          1990 454SS
          Suburban

Comment

Definitely, Thanks

Comment

Good things come in threes. Here's the third vote for clay the car.

Even though new, it may need to be clayed. You want the smoothest surface possible for clarity of your reflections, especially with a black car.

Good luck with the DA, it makes a world of difference. As Joel indicated, make yourself as knowledgeable as possible. So many variables to learn....

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              David

Comment

Thanks ,

I plan to practice on my wife's car first, it loaded with scratches etc so I can't really hurt it. Hopefully , that will give me enough time on the DA to gauge what to do on the new car. - I've got a variety of foam pads , it sounds like after wash, clay, then starting off with the finer pads and a mild polish followed by a wax should get me headed in the right direction.
                Like anyone just starting , I am soaking up as much information as I can before I get started next week.
                Thanks

Comment

Re: Beginner Questions Before / Current Pics

For reference ,
                  I have not washed the vehicle other than quick hose off and drove in a little rain since I got it from the dealer. ( AFter , I noticed the swirls /scratches I wanted to wait and have a professional ( not the dealer ) look at it.

I took the pics with a basic digital Cannon camera in the dark , so only the flash and Macro setting. This really shows the scratches. The car does look great under normal conditions , but of course now I am obsessed.

Will my new G110V2 take care of this ?

EDIT : I will pics add when I can

Comment

Will Attempt to add pics,
                    The finish looks great overall and just the close up shows the scratches,

I tested a 6 inch x 6 inch spot on the car with wash , clay today .
                    While applying the clay, it felt and looked like a wax was being gummed up, and eventually came smooth. Does that sound normal, maybe it was taking of whatever coating or wax was applied at the dealer or manufacture ? I would be interested in any comments on this issue, what do you think that was. It felt like working to remove adhesive and gum.

I then tried the same on our older Altima and sure enough, same thing , I worked a larger spot though, is this just old wax ?

Thanks again for any feedback,
                    I am still challenged at adding the pics , but they are in the members gallery I think

Comment

When using the clay did you spray the area first with the quick detailer? The clay needs the qd for lubrication so it glides across the paint. It should take very little effort to move the clay around...
                      Joel
                      1976 Cutlass S
                      2001 PT Cruiser
                      1990 454SS
                      Suburban

Comment

Originally posted by 2011Murano View Post
                        For reference ,
                        I have not washed the vehicle other than quick hose off and drove in a little rain since I got it from the dealer. ( AFter , I noticed the swirls /scratches I wanted to wait and have a professional ( not the dealer ) look at it.

I took the pics with a basic digital Cannon camera in the dark , so only the flash and Macro setting. This really shows the scratches. The car does look great under normal conditions , but of course now I am obsessed.

Will my new G110V2 take care of this ?

EDIT : I will pics add when I can
                        I just looked at your gallery pics. The da and Ultimate Compound should take care off those swirls and scratches...
                        Joel
                        1976 Cutlass S
                        2001 PT Cruiser
                        1990 454SS
                        Suburban

Comment

Originally posted by rcktpwrd View Post
                          When using the clay did you spray the area first with the quick detailer? The clay needs the qd for lubrication so it glides across the paint. It should take very little effort to move the clay around...
                          Yes,
                          I did use the QD constantly , the only way I can explain it it, is it feels and looks like a layer of adhesive or wax --- could it be a previous wax application? it did work through it , but to me it looks like it will take forever to do the whole car like this with the 80gram Meguiars clay bar.

Have you ever tried claying on a new car ? I tried some more on a spot on the Murano ( brand new) and it was the same.
                          Maybe just me getting used to this , I have never done it before, just seems unexpected.

would appreciate any other comments ,
                          Thanks for the input

Comment

Originally posted by rcktpwrd View Post
                            I just looked at your gallery pics. The da and Ultimate Compound should take care off those swirls and scratches...
                            Thanks ,

I am looking forward to it, Any thouhght on these clear type bra's , it seems like a good idea to have on put on After the paint is in great condition, but , I have not heard many posts about doing that here ?

Thanks

Comment

I have clayed a new car before and others before and never ran into what you are describing... Old wax shouldn't come off gummy. Maybe the dealer put something else on the paint?!?!

I have no experience with the clear bra's on my own cars but have seen plenty of them on other cars and I never liked they way they looked. I know they do a great job protecting the front end from stone chips and what not.
                              Joel
                              1976 Cutlass S
                              2001 PT Cruiser
                              1990 454SS
                              Suburban

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');