• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speed 6 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed 6 ??

i have a megs cutting pad for my g110 is it ok to use speed 6 with that pad if im having a really hard time removing defects or to use with my #4 that says rotary only because i don't own a rotary

Re: Speed 6 ??

If you don't have a rotary, don't use products designed for them. Speed 6 should really never be used on the dual action polisher.

Comment

Speed 6 isn't what you want to use.
      It dries out the product too fast, speed 5 is the best speed to use.
      IMO, speed 6 is only for sanding.
      Chief Engineer.
      My part time job is to maintain my black Toyota!

Comment

Speed 6 will also break your pads down in a hurry.
        ----------------------------------

3Fitty - Now recommending products I have never used.

Comment

Speed 6? I bought my G110 from Nigel Tufnel. It goes to 7.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Fitty View Post
            Speed 6 will also break your pads down in a hurry.

I agree, also the backing plate will begin to lose it's grip.
            Chief Engineer.

Comment

ok thanks i was just wondering because the pad is a cutting pad and more thick so i thought it might work guess not

Comment

In addition to the fact that you shouldn't be using speed 6, you also should not be using a maroon cutting pad with a dual-action buffer.

Stick to speed 5 and the yellow polishing pad, or switch to the microfiber cutting pad for the DA for heavier defects.

Comment

I've used speed 6 on my PC with no ill effects.

Comment

It will work yes, but as I said, it gives you less work time being it dries the product too fast.
                    Chief Engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchoolDude View Post

it gives you less work time being it dries the product too fast.

There's a lot of variables here. I've had great results using speeds 5-6, along with moderate downward pressure. Whether or not the product dries too fast, I remove moderate defects in less time, versus using speeds 4-5 with less downward pressure.

If you have problems with product drying out with a PC, whats going to happen when you use a rotary? I'm sure you are aware that a rotary generates much more friction than a PC right? Friction = heat.

If you're having problems with product drying out, you may want to adjust your technique. I have never, ever had a backing plate lose it's grip.

Like a said, there are an awful lot of variables involved when polishing paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Bob View Post
                        I've used speed 6 on my PC with no ill effects.

As have many of us - myself included - but that doesn't mean it is recommended. Many people have gone drinking and driving without ill effects, for example, but I still don't recommend it!

Especially with the microfiber pads it actually will produce less favorable results and even ruin the pads. Meguiar's (who designed the G110 and G110v2, as well as the pads and polishes in question) did not design them to be used at speed 6... so I highly recommend sticking to the directions coming from the creators of the products for best results.

Comment

I don't drink and drive. Drinking and driving can create a load of problems. When I use speed 6, I am removing more severe defects. I even use a 4'' light cutting pad for maximum pressure per square inch, as well as maximum Oscillation/rotation.

Your drinking and driving analogy is irrelevant, because when I use speed 6, I am actually accomplishing defect removal. What do you accomplish when drinking and driving?

I don't use the microfiber pad system, and am not planning to in the near future, so no problem there. There is no mention of "polish" in this thread, so, unless you're referring to a specific polish, (cleaner or compound in Meguiars terminology) you're just theorizing, which is ok, you can disagree with someone, which again is ok, but do it tactfully, please.

I've been doing this for over 20 years, yet you insinuate that my skill level is on par with "drinking and driving"?

Have a nice day.

Comment

I have been using a rotary for over 30 years, it's what I grew up using.
                            When I use my rotary I use a product made for using a rotary which aids in the product from dry out.
                            Now I use my PC, total different ball game here, mostly because I use foam pads instead of wool.
                            I've seen pics of pads and backing plates completely wore out from using too high of a setting for a long period of time.
                            When I correct paint I'm not looking for speed but instead good results.
                            Speed 4-5 works best for me, if 6 works for others and have no problems than I say use it.
                            Just not for me in paint correction.
                            Chief Engineer.

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchoolDude View Post

a long period of time.

I think that is a key point. Too high a speed, with too much downward pressure, for too long of a period can and will overheat a foam pad. It also depends upon what polish is being used. I used to use XMT 5-6 years ago, and never had any problems with overheating my pads. Lately, I have been using The Menzerna line of polishes. Menzerna is designed to be used with both Rotary and random orbit polishing machines, although we all know that a random orbit will only correct so much.

Like I said, there are an awful lot of variables.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');