• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dirty engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dirty engine

im new to this site but i was wondering if someone can tell me how to get my engine compartment clean

Re: dirty engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI4abN1wQ1s

First make sure the engine is cold to the touch. Wait at least 30min for aluminum, preferable 3 hours or even over night. Cover the alternator with a plastic bag. Cover/plug up the air intake with plastic bags and or tape. Spray wd40 over any exposed electrical connections, there are few in newer cars. In my old bens I would spay the glow plugs with wd40. Lastly don't use direct water pressure, use a hose pipe with the nozzle on "shower."

To dry use a leaf blower(not an air compressor), and wipe up any standing water with a rag. Now dress the engine bay, then turn the engine on for 20mins keeping it on idle. Check the engine bay for smoke/steam. If there any shut it off. After 20 mins rev the engine or drive it for a bit.

If you want to be environmentally friendly lay a tarp down and cat litter under the engine bay and contact your city on how to safely dispose. Or just spot clean with a bottle of APC and a rag if you don't want to rinse.

For customers cars inform them about what could happen and what you will do to prevent complications. Make sure you are insured. I tend to charge by the hour, Its cheaper for customers that way and it takes 45mins to 90mins. I charge 15-25 an hour depending on how far they are, and the size and condition of the vehicle. I am still trying to build a client base.

I use purple power 1:1 and a varity of brushes, then megs endurance as a dressing and collnite 845 on paint/metal.

Comment

Re: dirty engine

First off welcome to the site! A lot of great threads to read here to keep you busy for months maybe years.
      Depending on the condition of the engine compartment, will determine the approach you will take to get the desired look your going after. Tools and products will also help in the end result. Do you own a pressure washer? Or will you be using a garden hose? Any degreaseers or all purpose cleaner in your arsenal? Brushes? Etc...

If its mainly dusty it will be easy. The steps I usually do consist of:
      1. Scan the engine bay of anything loose or anything that can cause a problem later on, things to be careful with when cleaning
      2.Ill cover anything thats exposed. Cover open air filters with a grocery bag and tape. Aluminum foil can be your best friend as well as it can be easily wrapped around anything to form a shape and barrier of protection. (to be honest I rarely cover parts, But use caution)
      3. I'll lightly spray off any loose dirt with the pressure washer (garden hose will work too but the power behind the pressure washer leaves alot less to be scrubbed later on)
      4. Spray cleaners/ degreasers or soaps and agitate with a brush to loosen any dirt from the surface
      5. Rinse then hit it with some air. If thats not readily available wipe as much as you can then turn vehicle on to let the heat dry out any water thats left.
      6. Dress rubber and plastic with your desired dressing. Remember some dressings (like dedicated tire shines) arent good on certain materials (I personally use Meguiar's Hyper Dressing). Spread around evenly
      7. Turn Engine on again to give the dressing a better chance to work its way into the plastics/rubber. Close hood. Wait 3 minutes. Then turn off engine
      8. Now that everything has had a chance to settle and work its way into the plastics/rubber with the heat, I usually grab a rag and go over everything to remove any excess product to give it a nice black sheen look.

If its a dirty engine with caked on grease and oil. Start engine to warm it up then shutoff. Spray product first and let it sit to breakdown the stains DO NOT wet the engine first so that the degreaser can do its job with out getting diluted by the water. (Just like removing baked on crub from a cooking pan, heat will help loosen things up, atleast to me it does. A little heat never hurt nobody, you just dont want it hot just enough to get it slightly warm)

Anyways good luck! Post some before and after pictures if you get a chance!
      - Markito -

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');