• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meguiar's Quik Clay Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meguiar's Quik Clay Kit

Hi, i just recently bought the Meguiar's Quik Clay Kit to "Clean" my car (remove above surface contaminants) and i have noticed that the kit comes with 1. the Quik Detailer 2. the small piece of clay. I am not familiar with this product and i was not really satisfied when i used it as it seemed to leave marks (although i think the marks were from the towel i was using to wipe off) and an undesirable finish, so i didn't end up using it much. I was wondering if the piece of clay that came with the kit would be enough to do the whole car i.e how much clay i need and if i could purchase the clay itself individually ?

Also, Polishing (which is an OPTIONAL step am i correct?) the car is the next step after this step right ?

I am not sure if polishing is absolutely necessary as i maintain enough shine after using Deep Crystal Wet Shine Wax i.e skip the polishing step so Wash > Clean > Wax > Maintain

Advice and a sense of direction would be much appreciated.

Re: Meguiar's Quik Clay Kit

How to Clay Bar

Polishing is always optional and is the main component if you are attempting to remove swirls. But the answer is yes, you would clay first followed by polishing.

Comment

Originally posted by ClearlyCoated View Post
      How to Clay Bar

Polishing is always optional and is the main component if you are attempting to remove swirls. But the answer is yes, you would clay first followed by polishing.

So let me get this straight, after you clean the car with the claying process, SWIRLS and other under the surface damage is remedied by Swirl X, Scratch X or Ultimate Paint Cleaner right ?

Also, polishing is just for the extra shine isn't it ? "and is the main component if you are attempting to remove swirls". Polishing itself doesn't remove swirls right ?

Comment

I see your confusion and it's common as "polish" kinda has two connotations. Some of the time using SwirlX or ScratchX or anything that "corrects" the paint is referred to as polishing. This is only necessary if the paint needs it and it is sometimes a two-step polishing process. For example, if you use Ultimate Compound for correction you might follow it with SwirlX or Ultimate Polish to clean up after the Ultimate Compound. If the correction needed is not severe you might just use SwirlX or Ultimate Polish. If very very mild or no correction is needed you might skip this type of polish altogether.

Now, where it gets even more confusing is when you use more of a "pure polish" (m07) that isn't really correcting that much but more about shine. This is always optional. Also, if you use Swirlx or Ultimate Polish there is no need for this "pure polish" because, in addition to correction, they perform some of the same properties as a pure polish.

It's not really this cut and dry of course, but I organize it in my head as "correction polish" and "pure polish" to keep in simple. Make sense?
        "The Dude Abides"

Comment

So if I understand this posting this is the correct method.

1. Wash(tires first, then the body top to bottom)
          2. Clay
          3. Polish
          4. Wax

Let me know if this is right!!

Comment

Using Meguiars terms, and the current Consumer products, it best looks like this:

1. Wash
            2. Clay
            3. Cleaner/Polish - SwirlX or Ult. Polish, stronger cleaner if needed first.
            4. Wax
            5. Wax - 2 thin coats are best.

And then some people would choose to use a pure polish type product (only oils) like DC Polish or #7, etc in between 3 & 4.
            2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

To answere your question about having enough clay...YES. Most of us break that small bar of clay into 3 or 4 smaller pieces. One partial piece should be enough to do your car unless it's really really dirty. When the clay gets dirty looking, fold it, mold it to a clean part. If you should ever drop your clay on the ground....Throw it away!! Do NOT try and use it.
              Barry

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');