• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Car; Cloudy Dull Finish? + Newly Painted Parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Car; Cloudy Dull Finish? + Newly Painted Parts

Hello Everyone,

I've been trying to start a thread a couple of times, but it doesn't show up. If i double posted, i'm sorry =(. I have been learning how to detail my car and there are a couple of concerns i have right now.

The first would be the new paint i got done on my fender and driver door. As advised i asked the shop when i can wax my car. They told me that i can do it "right away". In fact they said that they "already polished and waxed" for me because they baked the paint. I went home and put on a layer of Nxt wax as well. But after reading some more threads about the 3 month cure period. I'm starting to doubt if i need to remove the wax. If so, how?

Secondly i've always tried to battle the dull finish on parts of my car. What kind of paint problem am i dealing with here? Here's picture to to start things off.

THANKS GUYS =)

Re: New Car; Cloudy Dull Finish? + Newly Painted Parts

If I am looking at the pillar above the door, it looks like some paint overspray. This is commonplace when cars are repainted and the adjoining arears are not masked off properly (or if they try to "blend" in the paint from the newly painted panel to the original paint). This can be corrected by either wetsanding and then polishing that area. (sometimes a compound will do the trick without wet sanding) Even if paint is baked after application, it should not be waxed right away. The paint will still need to cure and "outgas" for a period of time. You can polish with a new paint safe polish. You can remove wax by either an IP solution, or using a paint cleaner, or washing the car with Dawn (it strips the wax).

Comment

Oops. I just noticed i double posted a thread. Can someone help me remove the other one?

Yes it's the pillar above the window that is dull. It was there before the repainting of my door. So i'm assuming it's a factory thing. When they were repainting my door, i asked them to fix it, but there's still alittle left.
      This was during my warranty work with just the doors, so i have to manage the rest of it. I have the ultimate compound, will this job require the DA machine?

I saw this at the store, will it remove the wax?

Comment

I saw that the Deepcrystal paintcleaner was on sale so i grabbed a bottle.
        i used it and sprayed some water on the door and i still see beading.
        Is this a sign that wax is still there?

Anyone help me answer the questions from my previous post?

Thanks!!

Comment

Clean, fresh paint will bead water. i don't think deep crystal is for fresh paint. Try the dawn soap wash or the accohol. What year and make is that car? WELCOME.

Comment

Hey. Its a new Mazda 3 2010.
            I got it under a year go.
            I thought alot of people said using dawn on your paint is bad...
            Unfortunately, i already used the paintcleaner on my car...
            what do i do now?

Comment

Using Dawn will strip the paint of any wax. Obviously, this shouldn't be done on a consistent basis.It can be used to remove wax and prepare your paint for polishing. Ultimate Compound can be used by hand. Just know, that it will require several passes with some passion behind it to work properly. Deep Crystal will also strip any previous wax. Do not worry about going over that area with Dawn afterwards.

Comment

Is better to relevel the surface.......
                This might help you get out of it fast
                2000 grit wet sand and Meguiars Ultimate compound.....
                please try to tape edges and make the work area small as possible........

Comment

If it's overspray, why has nobody suggested claying? The 2000 grit and even (to a lesser extent) the UC are aggressive methods that may not be required.

Does the dull area feel rough to the touch? I would try claying first...
                  Originally posted by Blueline
                  I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

No, you should not apply wax over fresh paint. Don't use Dawn on a car's finish and whatever you do, do not wetsand until you have more experience with detailing. For now study and follow these steps. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=37320

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tguil View Post
                      No, you should not apply wax over fresh paint. Don't use Dawn on a car's finish and whatever you do, do not wetsand until you have more experience with detailing. For now study and follow these steps. http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...ad.php?t=37320

Tom
                      How would i go about with the wax removal?

Comment

@davey g-force
                        I did try claying it. It still feels rough.
                        I have trying claying it for a long time with no change to the dullness or the feel
                        @tguil
                        so as suggested from a previous post and the link as well. I can use ultimate compound of the deep crystal paintcleaner for wax removal? (with alots of elbowgrease too?)
                        Last edited by avenger28; Jul 6, 2011, 10:43 PM. Reason: better detailed post

Comment

You are not really going to damage paint with using Dawn once or twice (or even more times). It's just a rather harsh cleaner to use on cars. Not to worry about it. Another safe way to remove wax is to use a 50/50 isopropyl alchol solution. It appears that you are most concerned about the dullness and rough texture of some of your paint. Two suggestions for now... 1) Purchase a PC and go at your Mazda using Ultimate Compound. or 2) Take your Mazda to a good detail shop and have them try to correct the apparent problems. Again as a beginner do not mess with wet sanding. Period. You have a new vehicle don't mess it up striving for perfection. Hard for me to say because I am a perfectionist.

You might want to check out this website. Lots of good information in one place. http://guidetodetailing.com/damage-repair/

Tom

Comment

@tguil thanks! is that 50/50 alcohol/water solution?
                            How would i go about using dawn? Use a dilute solution, wipe on the solution using a sponge and rinse off?

What's a PC?

And lastly i read that i''m allowed to use a pure polish (wasn't aware that ultimate polish was not a pure polish; would it have damaged the paint?) to help "protect" my paint.
                            Is there anything besides the DC #2? I can't find it anywhere

Sorry for so many questions =/.
                            I'm sorta confused about all this

Comment

I figured it out =)

PC = 6" Dual Action Polisher (Porter-Cable/Meguiars)

I should have searched!!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');