• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to clean suede...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clean suede...

Hi all,

Nice sunny Sunday here... finally!!! Now here is my question. Took my wifes minivan (Chrysler T&C) to the A/C repair guy. He accidentally smudged a dirty palm print twice on the suede part of the interior door panel. Not sure if its grease or oil from the part he removed under the dash or just black dust. Tried dusting it off with a towel with not much luck. I have not scrubbed or tried any type of cleaner on it so as not to make it permanent. Soooo, how should I go around at cleaning suede? Most, if not all, leather cleaners are off limits to suede. Everytime I see the smudges I freak out. Any ideas before I have to be taken to the nut house?

Re: How to clean suede...

Really the only way to clean suede is with a damp microfiber cloth.

Contact Chrysler and see if it is actually real suede and not alcantara or some other suede-like material.

Colin
    A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. If its not real suede, but something suede like how do you think I should go about cleaning the stuff?

Thanks again!!

Eric

Comment

The fake suede, Alcantara, is also pretty delicate to clean. I was able to use warm water and a small amount of Woolite and a damp microfiber cloth to clean Alcantara seats in my friend's Lexus. Don't saturate the material, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ford 460 crew View Post
          Hi,

Thanks for the reply. If its not real suede, but something suede like how do you think I should go about cleaning the stuff?

Thanks again!!

Eric

Again, ask Chrysler. Since they designed the car with that interior, they'll have the best recommendation for cleaning it. The manufacturer of anything you're wanting to clean is always the best source of information. I've seen too many posts where someone recommends something that could do damage and their reasoning is "I've never had any problems doing it that way."

Colin
          A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Comment

Originally posted by CHzo6 View Post
            The fake suede, Alcantara, is also pretty delicate to clean. I was able to use warm water and a small amount of Woolite and a damp microfiber cloth to clean Alcantara seats in my friend's Lexus. Don't saturate the material, though.
            Very true. And don't apply directly to the material, either. Apply to the applicator.

Colin

Comment

Warm water is the best to clean alcantara, in some extreme cases some steam can work but be careful.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks!!! Will do the first recommendation, contact the manufacturer. If that does'nt work I might try the Woolite option... unless something better shows up...

Cheers!!!

Eric

Comment

Get some rubbing alcohol and test it with a Q tip. Brush it with the grain and see what happens. This is how we clean real suede with our shop. When the alcohol flashes, it won't leave any residue which will keep the material happy.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');