• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As Noob As Noob Can Be...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As Noob As Noob Can Be...

Hi!

I know about the 5-Step Process and have also read about the general cleaning (1. Wash 2. Clay 3. SwirlX 4. Wax 5. Wax). However, my question is about deviating from the process. My goal is to have a pretty good looking car, but I understand that in order to have an immaculate looking car, I would need to follow the above mentioned process.

The car is a black 2006 Acura TL with quite a bit of scratches. I was thinking of using Dr Color Chip at a later time.

Would it be ok if I used the Gold Class Car Wash, ScratchX, Ultimate Polish, and Ultimate Quik Wax (twice)? The only products I have right now are the Gold Class Car Wash and Ultimate Quik Wax. Are there other products you would recommend? Is Ultimate Quik Wax supposed to be used like this or am I supposed to use a different product like Ultimate Liquid Wax or ColorX?

Also, can I break up my suggested process? For example, wash the car and use ScratchX (one weekend), Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Quik Wax (x1) (second weekend), and do another Quik Wax (third weekend) all while driving the car a few times a week?

Hopefully, you guys can lead me in the right direction and learn to make the car look great!

Thank you for reading and hopefully giving me some input!

Re: As Noob As Noob Can Be...

Would it be ok if I used the Gold Class Car Wash, ScratchX, Ultimate Polish, and Ultimate Quik Wax (twice)? The only products I have right now are the Gold Class Car Wash and Ultimate Quik Wax. Are there other products you would recommend? Is Ultimate Quik Wax supposed to be used like this or am I supposed to use a different product like Ultimate Liquid Wax or ColorX?
    You would want to look at:
    1. Wash - favorite wash, 2 buckets ,etc, etc
    2. Clay
    3. Clean - Whichever cleaners you car would need / you feel like doing. Ult. Polish is a mild cleaner. Ult. Compound is stronger, if you were trying to do something to a whole car, I would go that way. Removing swirls, etc on a whole car by hand is tough... The ScrathcX 2.0 isnt really needed....
    4. Wax - Whichever wax you like

As far as the waxing, again, you cna do what you like. But it is best to use a Liquid or Paste wax as the 'base coats', with the spray waxes for 'boosting' the wax after future washes.
    Also, can I break up my suggested process? For example, wash the car and use ScratchX (one weekend), Ultimate Polish and Ultimate Quik Wax (x1) (second weekend), and do another Quik Wax (third weekend) all while driving the car a few times a week?
    If you are going to be working by hand on the whore car to see about removing defects, it would definatley need broken up. You would likely want to wash the car good one day, and then start on a panel with the Ult. Compound. Just focus on panel or two a day. Just wipe off the panel before you start working on it.

Then when you are done with the heavy cleaning, you could wash, then Ult. Polish and Wax in a day.

However, you probably will want to just do a small test spot first, and see if you can improve it by hand. I dont know how easy or hard the paint will be to work with. But you dont want to do the whole car, and then stand back and see a problem.

So pick up the Ult. Compound, wipe off a small area, and give it a shot. Even take before/after pics in good light to record the swirls, improvement, etc. And make sure you can get it good before doing everything.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thank you!

It has been clayed about two months ago and since then, it's been washed once. Should I still clay again? I have read that you can clay (on average) twice a year.

So I will purchase Ultimate Compound and Ultimate Liquid Wax. Since Ultimate Quik Wax is for 'boosting', how soon will I have to reapply Ultimate Liquid Wax? Will I need to use Ultimate Polish or will it depend on how it looks after using Ultimate Compound?

I'll be sure to take some pictures so you guys can critique the way I do it! I'm so eager!

Thanks!!

Comment

Well, it may need clayed, may not. Just have to feel the surface, and see what you think.

Its hard to say an exact time, but I used the Ult. Wax in may, and UQW only a couple times since, and still get a good shine and beading.

If you used the Ult. Polish/Compound, you would need to re-wax.

The Ult. Polish would be optional this time, and then would be your mild cleaner in the future. I was just thinking if it takes you a while to UC everything, you may want to Ult. Polish everything at once before waxing to even it out.

Or you could Ult. Compound, then wax/wax a panel right away to get it protected right away.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          If you are going to be working by hand on the whore car .................

Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Comment

Hahaha! I noticed that too.

But thanks for all of the advice! It was too hot to do anything so I postponed it until next weekend.

Comment

You'd think the filter would catch that....

Comment

Hehehe!

I have another question, but this is about the pads... Which is better for my purpose (Ultimate Compound, Wax, and possibly Ultimate Polish)... X3070 or X3080? And how many pads would I need? Also, is there a recommended cleaning process for pads/wash mitt/microfiber towels/drying towel?

Thanks!!

Comment

I like just the bare foam myself.

You would need one pad per product, plus a few spares. Esp the cleaning step, the pad could get dirty as well, and you'd want to change once or twice.

The MF towels can go in the washing machine together. I just do the foam pads by hand... toss them in a bucket of water + Dawn, let them soak, then rinse.

Comment

Thanks! So the X3070 for everything... I've also read somewhere that microfiber pads are good for the interior whereas the foam pads are good for the exterior...

Comment

I tend to use MF cloths on the interior... The Target ones to be exact, Zoom or Vroom I think it is.

Haven't really tried the MF applicators inside.. didn't like them on the outside.

Comment

Oh I see.. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');