• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire gel applicator problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire gel applicator problems

Hey guys, I think you know what I'm talking about, those black foam rectangular shaped tire gel applicator pads that you get at autoparts stores. They work ok for the first few weeks, but after rubbing them over and over the tires and I guess from where they are soaked with tire shine gel the start to break apart.

Once that starts happening I have my garage floor littered with little bits and pieces of that foam from after detailing my tires. Do you all have that same problem with these things?

If so is there anything different you all do to them after you are finished to keep them from either drying out or from pealing later? Or do you use something different other than a traditional tire gel applicator for applying tire shine to your tires? Thanks guys!
    Strader327

Professional photographer and owner of STRADER Motorsports Photography

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Strad...41121349262327

Re: Tire gel applicator problems

I use Mirror Glaze 40(RUB 16) on a "generic" terry cloth and if I use tire shine I use the Meguiar's Direct Foam Applicator Pad(X3070). I do know what your talking about with regards to the foam crumpling and falling apart. That is mainly caused from the petroleum products breaking the foam down. I have a ton of the Meguiar's Direct Foam Applicator Pad(X3070) in my garage. At $3 for 2, you can't go wrong!! Remember, this is just my 5 cents!!

Comment

You can get those Megs foam applicators for $9.95 case of 12 (i love these pads)

"STRIFE" aka Phil
      2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
      2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
      2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

After each use of the tire swipes, I put them in a ZipLok bag but dont seal it up all the way. They seem to last a good long time, many many uses before they start crumbling. Also, all tire swipes are not equal...some are what I'd call a loose cel to start with and dont last as long as the ones that are tighter. The tighter ones feel stiff compared to the loose ones that don't last.
        Barry

Comment

You know, what would really be great is those black foam wax applicator pads that come with Meguiar's Ultimate liquid or paste waxes. By any chance does Meguiar's sale those pads seperately? I know they sell the yellow ones but how about the black ones?
          Strader327

Comment

Also what I use on my Pontiac once a month is the Gold Class Endurance tire gel. I apply it for protection and for a shiny look right around the time I apply a fresh coat of wax to my car. Then about once a week or so when the shine goes away and for a more natural look for the rest of the month, I use Meguiar's natural shine interior and rubber spray. I've never used Mirror Glaze 40, how does it compare with Gold Class Endurance and Meguiar's Natural Shine?
            Strader327

Comment

Originally posted by strader327 View Post
              I've never used Mirror Glaze 40, how does it compare with Gold Class Endurance and Meguiar's Natural Shine?
              Mirror Glaze 40 is not a super shiny dressing and its water based(i believe Meguiar's Natural Shine is water based). I'm a big fan of water based dressing and I like my tires to look like they just came of the shelf(black and with a tad bit of shine. . .more like a matte finish). The only draw back with water dressing is, it does not last as long(especially up here in Olympia WA where it rains 355 days of the year). But I do have some Gold Class Endurance and some Hot Shine Tires Spray for the times I really want the shine or something that will last longer.

Comment

The applicator I use came with an armor all product I had in the past. It hasn't crumbled at all. I've washed it once just to get all the junk out of it after quite some time of using it and just keep it wrapped in some paper towel between uses.

Comment

Originally posted by strader327 View Post
                  Hey guys, I think you know what I'm talking about, those black foam rectangular shaped tire gel applicator pads that you get at autoparts stores. They work ok for the first few weeks, but after rubbing them over and over the tires and I guess from where they are soaked with tire shine gel the start to break apart.
                  It could be a harsh product you are using or perhaps an inferior foam applicator, or a combination of both that is causing the foam to crumble. I like the No Mess Tire Applicator, a quick search turns up many resellers of these all for under $5. The foam is high quality, contoured to fit a standard tire's shape, and it is self contained so that it can be closed up once you are done with it.

As for treating the tires I will second the recommendation for Mirror Glaze #40, I was turned onto this product by a Meguiar's reseller a few months back and absolutely love it. The benefit is it can be used to consolidate quite a few products into one, I use it on tires, underhood, plastic wheel wells, exterior trim, and interior plastic/vinyl surfaces. If you're after a high gloss shine to your tires look elsewhere though.

Comment

i read somewhere here ....someone used cheapo sponge paint brushes.....iirc, seen these for like 2-3 for $1 at the dollar stores around town
                    "STRIFE" aka Phil
                    2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
                    2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
                    2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

I've had my Eagle One tire swipes for years.
                      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I bought a dozen of these at a Dollar General a couple years ago for a $0.50 each. I just toss them when they get old.

Jim
                        My Gallery

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');