• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Detailing and Confused!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Detailing and Confused!

Hey everyone,

So I finally got a car worth taking care of and was looking for some help.

It is a paint job with a flake in it, has some scratches on the sill I want to be gone, but no discernible swirl marks.

It is a daily driver and has not had much done other than washing, so my understanding was to do this(application will be done by hand):

Wash(GC)
    Clay
    (1/3)After claying, should I use UC or UP, or both?
    Wax(ULW)

(2/3)Is this all I need to do to start protecting my paint from the daily hazards?

Also, there is a spot on the top of the wheelhouse which has rusted. (3/3)Can I prevent this rust from spreading to the visible body, or remove it completely?

Thanks for any help, it's all so overwhelming! If pictures would be more helpful, please let me know and I may be able to get some up tomorrow.

Re: New to Detailing and Confused!

I would say to start a test area with UP to see if you can get what you want with that. In most cases less is more. You should follow up with a wax, when you have decided what process is going to give you what you looking for. I will defer the rust issue to others. sorry
    BMW ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

Comment

1. Wash
      2. Clay
      3. Clean - You would want Ult. Compound for the worse areas, and then Ult. Polish/SwirlX for everything. Or just Ult. Compound everyting the first time. Just want to even things out.
      4. Wax
      5. Wax
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
        3. Clean - You would want Ult. Compound for the worse areas, and then Ult. Polish/SwirlX for everything. Or just Ult. Compound everyting the first time. Just want to even things out.
        It seems like I should do the whole car with the Polish and if some swirls or scratches still show, then try the compound, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by SciontC View Post
          It seems like I should do the whole car with the Polish and if some swirls or scratches still show, then try the compound, correct?
          There's a slight possibility the UC may leave some minor flaws (haze) that the Ultimate Polish would remove. As Murr indicated, one possible way is: UC, then UP, then wax, wax. The other way is UC, then wax, wax. A lot will depends on your test area results.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          David

Comment

Should my test area be one that has scratches on it, as well as being not readily visible unless you really look?

Comment

Yes your test area should have issues. The purpose of the test it to see if the product you are about to use will actually do the job.
              BMW ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');