• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about a Scratch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about a Scratch

The question I have relates to the picture below. A family member of mine wanted me to look at this scratch to see if anything could be done with it. It's not deep at all and the nail doesn't catch. However, the one thing I did noticed was that string, almost looking like the clearcoat possible. Any clues on what that could be and is there anything you would recommend for me trying to fix this? I just didn't want to jump in after it. I'm a long time lurker who's been detailing as a hobby for 3 years now and I haven't come across this before.

Re: Question about a Scratch

Any ideas?

Comment

Looks to me like the kind of mark that's made when someone sits on a fender with pants that have a rivet on the pockets then slides off. The rivet digs in but as the as* (so to speak) slides off & there's less pressure on the paint the 'string' is end of the scratch. Since your nail doesn't catch on it, I'd follow the rule of using the least aggressive polish first then work your way backward to harsher products. Personally, I'd work by hand on it to focus my effort on the small area involved.

Comment

Taken from Murr, in order of increasing aggressiveness:
        Cleaner/Wax -> DC Cleaner -> Ultimate Polish -> ScratchX -> SwirlX -> ScratchX 2.0 -> Ultimate Compound

To remove light scratches, you should start with SwirlX, then move on to ScratchX 2.0 and then Ultimate Compound.

It all depends what you have in your arsenal.
        For me, if I have to buy one single product, I would get UC.
        If I can get 2 products, I would get SwirlX and UC.

Comment

Working...
        X
        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');