• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with surface scratches in clear coat? (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with surface scratches in clear coat? (pics)

Hi guys, I've been lurking for awhile, and I'd like some advice on a problem. When washing my car, I had a hard time getting dried berries from a nearby tree off. I used the rough side of a kitchen sponge (I know, I'm an idiot), which has scratched the clear coat on my grey 2009 Kia Forte. The scratches do no catch the fingernail.

I've applied ScratchX about 2 times with MF pad by hand with minimal results. The scratches have been reduced significantly within a 24-48 hr period. After this period, the scratches return slightly less visible. I have not been applying wax or polish afterwards. The way I see it, I have 3 options.

1. Buy polish and wax, to protect the paint. However, if the scratches are ultimately returning, does that mean that ScratchX is not working?
    2. Buy different, more abrasive compound such as 105.
    3. Buy an orbital polisher/sander to really work the scratches good.

Here are the pictures. I'm apologize for the quality.

Thank you guys for the help!

Re: Help with surface scratches in clear coat? (pics)

How were you applying the ScratchX?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I applied it using a MF pad, across grain and circular motions for about 2 minute. It wasn't as rigorous as I'd like, but it's tough with those pads!

Comment

Sometimes can get more effort going in straight lines, but yeah, I like just the foam pads. Seem to be able to get more effort behind them.

Should make sure that is the ScratchX 2.0 as well?

From the way things sound, it is as if you are filling the scratches in, then over a few days the polishing oils wash out and the scratches are back. So you will have to do something stronger to actually remove the scratches. That could include a few things:

1. 2 applications of ScratchX inst necessarily a lot, and obviously isnt removing anything. So the best place to start would be a couple more applications, but really focusing on smaller areas, more effort.. almost like trying to rock the car on its springs. Hard to tell just how long that scratch is, but might need broken into 2-3 areas.

2. Can go to a stronger product like Ultimate Compound.

3. Can use a machine to apply.

Just building up the aggressiveness slowly, without too much wasted time hopefully.

Of course the paint itself is also a factor. Some are just hard to correct by hand. What kind of car is it?

Comment

Thank you for the help Murr! As you mentioned, the polishing oils seem to be filling in the scratch but not actually removing the scratches. Would a protectant layer of wax help this out? What would you recommend. Here's a few answers to the questions.

1.I have been very aggressive with the application (I've been visibly rocking the car with my application).

2. The car is a 2009 Kia Forte.

3. I was originally in the mind set that I'll keep applying (maybe 5-10) times until the scratches get slowly, but after reading up more on the forums, I wanted to see if there was a step I was missing. Once again, thank you Murr!

Comment

Well, another application or two to see if there is any improvement wont hurt... then it may be time to move down the list.

Small area, plenty of product... Remember the product has the abrasives in it, so there has to be product there to work in. Dont do one squirt, and then spread it out over a big area, and leave nothing to work in.

A wax would just help with the hiding/filling. Which is fine if you wanted to, but not a complete solution.

Comment

I would colorsand the scratches out with 1500 to 2000 grit wet dry paper than buff with a rotary buffer and some meguiars 105 compound, then polish with some 205 with a foam finishing pad to remove swirl marks from compounding...do some research on the net lots of info out there to help u out!
              Originally posted by dohhhhh6 View Post
              Hi guys, I've been lurking for awhile, and I'd like some advice on a problem. When washing my car, I had a hard time getting dried berries from a nearby tree off. I used the rough side of a kitchen sponge (I know, I'm an idiot), which has scratched the clear coat on my grey 2009 Kia Forte. The scratches do no catch the fingernail.

I've applied ScratchX about 2 times with MF pad by hand with minimal results. The scratches have been reduced significantly within a 24-48 hr period. After this period, the scratches return slightly less visible. I have not been applying wax or polish afterwards. The way I see it, I have 3 options.

1. Buy polish and wax, to protect the paint. However, if the scratches are ultimately returning, does that mean that ScratchX is not working?
              2. Buy different, more abrasive compound such as 105.
              3. Buy an orbital polisher/sander to really work the scratches good.

Here are the pictures. I'm apologize for the quality.

Thank you guys for the help!

Comment

I will look into color sanding (though it's seems very intensive compared to what I'd to do do). I've worked on more applications of ScratchX 2.0 with no real noticeable improvement. This is frustrating because the scratches are not deep at all.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');