• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i'm a little new to detailing but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i'm a little new to detailing but...

polishing pads is to put on polish?? and finishing pads is to take off polish??

Actually, the polishing pads are used to apply compounds and polishes. The finishing pad is used to apply glazes, sealants, and waxes. Products should be removed with a microfiber towel like the Supreme Shine or the Ultimate Wipe.

Comment

so the rotory just puts it on ?? you don't use it to take off ??

Comment

yeah, you would remove the polish residue by hand with a microfiber towel or soft terry cloth. Meg's makes ultimate bonnets, but I don't know if I would want to use them with a rotary.

Comment

PAD INFORMATION

Actually there are two kind of pads used for paint finishing:

a. Cutting pads for correcting paint finish problems

b. Polishing or Finishing pads to remove swirls and polish

In paint finishing if you have a problem you would use a three step process:

Correct
          Swirl Remove/Polish
          Correct

CORRECT

Use a high speed buffer; cutting pad (either wool; poly/wool or foam) and one of 4 compounds (heavy; medium; light or micro-fine grit). Normally today's clear-coat finishes do not need a heavy or medium compound nor a wool cutting pad.

SWIRL REMOVE/POLISH

Use a high speed buffer; foam polishing/finishing pad and a swirl remover (not a filler) polish. (I believe these are one and same, you can swirl remove and polish with one product).

CORRECT

Apply wax or better yet, a paint sealant by hand or by orbital for final protection.

This is the basic and most correct way to deal with paint finishes that have problems.

If you are dealing with a good paint finish you can simply PROTECT IT by applying wax or sealant.

Or, you could use an orbital with a swirl filler to fill in the micro fine scratches and then apply a wax which will fill better because it has more solids.

Hope that helps.

Bud Abraham
          DETAIL PLUS SYSTEMS

Comment

I would suggest getting a PC and skipping on the rotary for a while...

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');