• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to prevent swirls.....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prevent swirls.....?

hi all, I just bought the DA polisher and starting the 5 step process I already spent many hours reading forums for tips on how to improve my skills...! but one thing I'm not completely sure of is about what product is the best to prevent swirls... I already doing the two bucket wash and use 3 gloves to prevent them and it helps a lot but still getting swirls... I would like to know if Meguiar's has anything specifically to prevent swirls.... thanks in advance.

Re: How to prevent swirls.....?

Preventing swirls would really be about using a good car soap, 2 buckets, quality sponges/mitts, high quality towels.

Other than soap, there really is no 'product' to prevent them, it is more in the accessories you use.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I would also invest in a grit guard or two on top of Murr's advice.
      2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

well, guess you are right... I'm only missing the grid guard... maybe I should get one...!

Comment

I would suggest a snow foam gun to do a pre wash, it removes most of the damaging road grim before you touch it with a mitt.
          I would also recommend two grit guards, one for each bucket ! The amount of grime that sits in the bottom of the rinse bucket after a wash is amazing ! Especial if I don't snow foam first !

Comment

Agreed with all above.

- The main thought is to not introduce things that could marr the surface. Grit is a primary suspect. Also having a good wax layer will help in future washes to keep the nasty stuff off and when your rinsing/pre-soak it helps dirt loosen easier.

Comment

I agree with the comments above.

I always pre wash my car with snow foam. Also a seperate bucket with soft brushes for the wheels. The least you touch the paint the better.

Once my car is washed. I always get a hose running at a slow speed to sheet the excess water off. Then I use a Megs waffle weave towel and pull this over the car letting the weight of the towel do the work.

As I have a black car swirls and scratches are a big no no. I love the swirl free finish my car has.

Hth's

Rappy .

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas... so far after two weeks and many rany days I still don't see any new swirl on my paint...

Comment

over 46 yrs ,if your wax was not good, you got swirls.also pressing to hard on finish with whatever you used,will cause swirls.
                  i always use my towel very light when washing truck, i dont press hard at all.

all of above said are good ideas too.

if your wax gets weak,thats a big reason for swirls.
                  waxing if done with wrong thing and car is dirty, you will get swirls.

Comment

Using a leaf blower to dry has also helped me.

Comment

leaf blower is real nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                        Preventing swirls would really be about using a good car soap, 2 buckets, quality sponges/mitts, high quality towels.

Other than soap, there really is no 'product' to prevent them, it is more in the accessories you use.
                        I use all Megs products. I use two buckets, grit guards, Megs soap etc, etc. I also use their mitts and the waffle type towels. Is there a better mitt and drying towel that should be used? I try my hardest and still seem to add some minor swirls from time to time?????

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');