• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would this be okay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this be okay?

I want to detail the car as it's killing me to have all these products and seeing my car unwaxed (1 year+ ) and salt and swirl covered. If I went outside tomorrow when it's supposed to be about 42, sprayed it down, washed it, then dried it, would it be okay if I brought it into my brothers garage (after putting in some portable heaters for a bit) and clayed/polished/waxed it in there?

[Edit] Or would it not even be worth it to do since the salt on the ground (not supposed to snow anymore) and I should just wait like 2 weeks or so...
    Last edited by ThePhreak; Mar 11, 2005, 04:13 PM.

Go for it! I just did that this past week and the car turned out great. Have fun.

Comment

Thats what I do.... I also wash in the garage.

I am not sure the lowest temp to apply wax but I know I can get my garage 60-70 when its in the 30's and varies with the wind. If its 42 I am sure if its insulated well you could get it rather warm. Also I like to let my car warm up to operating temp (outside) then pull it in the garage and let the car help heat the garage (with the hood open and the motor OFF!).

here is a good post from mike on temps.

I also really like to get that salt off every chance I get. I detail my truck 2-3 times when the snow and salt are on the roads.
      Brandon

2007 Black Chevy Avalanche

My Albums: Avalanche
      Meguiars Online Acronyms - Meguiars Product List....

Comment

If you are going to wash it at one place, then drive it to another, i would be cautious about jumping into any type of detailing without re-cleaning the surface.

It is a time saver for me to make 2 buckets of wash soap with a seperate clean bucket for rinsing my mitt in.

I will wash a section of the car with bucket A-risne, then use bucket B, which has less water(than bucket A) and more soap, for claying the vehicle.

Or you could spray your Lubricant onto the wet surface and clay.

I would leave the surface with some protection on it after claying though. If you think you will be pressed for time, i would do a few sections with the clay, dry, and put a coat of nxt on.

Dont re use the clay if you drop it. Knowing this, i like to do the flat panels first, roof, hood, trunk, then move onto the ones that have the potential to drop the clay.

I dont think anything would be worse than dropping a piece of clay 2 seconds into it lol.

Comment

Its always worth it to get the salt and crud off the car...

But as was mentioned, it may be best to wash it at your brothers, or you will want to quick detail your car all over once you are in the garage before going o nwith the detail.

Incidently, I often use the Meguiars Cleaner/Wax this time of year, and it seems to work fine for me around the upper 40-50 degree mark. Gets me out of the garage, but not in the cold too long either.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Hey,

You should not have any difficulties detailing in the colder temperatures. I have detailed in very cold weather with no problems. But I too suggest washing the car at the same location you plan on detailing it. A short drive will kick up a lot of dirt and debris.

Please keep us posted!

Tim
            Tim Lingor's Product Reviews

Comment

Originally posted by 2hotford
              Hey,

You should not have any difficulties detailing in the colder temperatures. I have detailed in very cold weather with no problems. But I too suggest washing the car at the same location you plan on detailing it. A short drive will kick up a lot of dirt and debris.

Please keep us posted!

Tim
              Alright, thanks guys, you are awesome I'm gonna go over in a few minutes so hopefully tonight I can tell you it went good!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');