• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car Wash with rust inhibitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Wash with rust inhibitors

Just wondering about this. Does NXT Tech Wash contain rust inhibitors? Are they effective in preventing rust in areas where water collects? There is no mention of rust inhibitors in Meguiars car washes.........???????

Re: Car Wash with rust inhibitors

Originally posted by harddisk
    Just wondering about this. Does NXT Tech Wash contain rust inhibitors? Are they effective in preventing rust in areas where water collects? There is no mention of rust inhibitors in Meguiar's car washes.........???????
    Hi hardisk,

Do you know of any car washes on the market that contain rust inhibitors, or at least claim to contain rust inhibitors?

Unprotected metal exposed to water and oxygen will rust, since water is used to dilute a car wash solution and water is used to rinse the solution off, and throughout the entire car washing process a car is exposed to our atmosphere which contains approximately 21% oxygen, all the ingredients for unprotected metal surfaces are present for the formation of rust

The present composition of Earth's atmosphere
    21% OXYGEN (O2)
    78% NITROGEN (N2)
    0.04% CARBON DIOXIDE (CO2)
    ~0.9% ARGON (Ar)
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Hi Mike,

Yes and I have used it before. Click on this link

or this

Thank you for choosing Autopia Car Care for all your auto detailing needs. Autopia Car Care is home to the best car wax, car polishes, and detailing supplies available
      Last edited by harddisk; Mar 15, 2005, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by harddisk
        Hi Mike,

Yes and I have used it before. Click on this link

http://www.essexracing.com/product_i...roducts_id=318
        It's interesting that their is no real explanation as to how the product actually works to stop uncoated metal from rusting after introducing water to it.

I'll check with our Director of Training on the topic of how a car wash, when mixed with water can stop unprotected metal from rusting and see what I can find out. Until then, if this feature in this car wash is helping to keep your unprotected metal from rusting, by all means, document a before and after picture and share it with us. It sounds interesting.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Mike,

I think it refers to the box-in areas where water tends to collect and not to unfinished metal surfaces. I wonder how effective the rust inhibitors are in this respect. The cars I have used it on seem to be rust-free but then it could be due to the rustproofing done by the car manufacturers and not the rust inhibitors. Or could it be that the car wash residue left behind on the surfaces of the box-in areas after drying act as a rust preventive?
          Last edited by harddisk; Mar 15, 2005, 09:44 PM.

Comment

As the owner of mostly old cars, I am very much aware of the issue of getting water into areas that cannot be reached. I'm just not sure how much a car wash mixed with water can prevent rust. It's easy to make the claim, but where's the proof?

At this time, Meguiar's' does not offer any car washes where we claim they not only clean well, but also stop rust from taking place on un-coated metal. If there is a car wash product that does stop rust from taking place, then it must be chemically altering the surface of the metal or leaving behind a coating on the surface. If it's leaving behind a coating on unprotected metal, then chances are good it's leaving behind a coating on all surfaces. If this coating is making the surface look good, remain clear, (window glass), etc. then this is probably a good thing. At this time I don't know of such a product.

Have you used the product you mentioned?
            Have you seen where it stopped rust from taking place in person?

If so, see my signature line.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');