• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What got you interested in detailing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What got you interested in detailing?

Being in high school when I started, I wanted my car to look nice so that maybe the girls would see how good it looked lol. But, I just wanted a really shiny car.

I joined MOL and I have never looked back. I am so thankful for all the patience shown to me by all of the members here.
    Tedrow's Detailing
    845-642-1698
    Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

The '93 Camry I drive has been in the family since it was new. I have had it since 2000. I didn't take care of it and lived in the desert. The paint was shot, the clear coat pealing off. BUT MY '93 only has 110,000 mi. on it. Fast forward to May 2011, a bus sides swipes my car and creams the right side. My insurance company totaled it and cash me out nicely. Took it to our body guy and he says he can put it back together and have it looking great for $2700.
      I get the car back, newly painted and it looks great. Being a bit obsessive I just said I would keep it that way. To this date the paint feels as smooth as a baby's butt and it's going to stay that way.

Comment

I would say that is has been a gradual process for me that has spiked in the last 6ish months
        My start in this world was washing cars at a dealership which was not the most fun, but I knew there was something better

First I was told about the Thursday Nights and that lead to Meguiar's online

then somehow I happened upon Detailing.com
        This has been my go to place
        The product supply they have at their location is just amazing
        I would say they carry a good 85-95% of the entire Meguiar's Line up

For me it has been a combination of
        Meguiars Online
        Saturday Classes
        Thursday Nights
        Detailing.com

I have gone from extremely green to pretty confident in my abilities

Comment

It started in high school. One of my first cars was a bright red 1973 Z28. I was a freak about cleaning and waxing it. People would often comment about how nice it looked. My mom used to joke I was going to wash the paint off. Lol!! That was the impetus to see how shiny I could get it. Didn't really know what I was doing but it looked good. Then I bought my first HD. I was cleaning that thing all the time. Now as I am older I find the whole process rather therapeutic and it brings a smile to my face.

Comment

well I remember my dad taking his black bmw E34 thru the wash at work then he pull in to the shop and wax it with mirror glaze cleaner wax. after that when I was older my papa showed me how to wax a car. then I picked up the trade when I got the bmw to drive and ever since then ive gotten really into it.

Comment

I too got into it when I was a kid. I remember one of my "chores" was to clean out the inside of the cars and also clean the windows ('78 Mustang and '86 Trooper....this was the mid '80s). I remember taking Windex and cleaning everything on the inside with it.......oh how far I've come since then! I didn't get into hardcore detailing until after I bought my Saturn which is now my wife's! Bought a tin of NXT 1 and went to town on my new ride thinking that it'll look just like it did when it left the factory.......or not.... Somewhat unsatisfied I went to the website printed on the bottom of the tin and the rest is history! Now they BETTER then when they left the factory....well when I have time to clean them up they do! If I had any business sense in me I would start my own detailing gig but I'm not the brightest with finances and bookwork. Plus I love the job I'm in now and I incorperate my detailing skills into it so I guess it's a win win for me!
              For those who fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

736th GunTrucks "Bakersfield to Bagdad"

Wife say's I'm "obsessed"!

Comment

This reminds me the first time I waxed my car I washed off the wax with a damp cloth instead of using a dry micro fiber towel. My roomate was like WTF are you doing? lol. How was I supposed to know?

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');