• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Product selection question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product selection question

I have a 1997 Chrysler Sebring that I will be cleaning in the next day or so. The paint is pretty rough with some moderate oxidation and what appears to be patches where the clear coat is cracked and peeling or possibly gone all together. I washed and clayed the trunk lid today and used meg's cleaner wax on it. I noticed that quite a bit of red color came off on the applicator which really wasn't that surprising. I used the cleaner wax by hand but I have a PC on the way. My question is what would be the best Meguiar's product(s) for this situation? Thank you in advance.

Re: Product selection question

Hmmm that might be a bit tough. On the trunk where you applied cleaner wax, was the paint peeling in the region you pulled color off? If so then you're getting the color from the base coat but if it isn't then your paint is single stage.

If your paint has clear coat then I would suggest Ultimate Compound to get the oxidation off. More so if you haven't cleaned the paint in a long time. If your paint is single stage then I would suggest using M83 or M80 to clean off the oxidation.

Hope this helps.
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Try several spots on the car with the cleaner/wax. If the applicator comes up red each time, then you have single stage and may still want to look at Ultimate Compound as it plays very well with single stage paint.
      Tedrow's Detailing
      845-642-1698
      Treat Yourself to that New Car Feeling

Comment

Is there any chance of a few pics? Esp of the peeling?
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I took some pics today and will upload them tomorrow. I also noticed today that the paint on the hood and trunk look splotchy, almost as if you can see blotches of blackish underneath the paint.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');