• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is this and how do I get rid of it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this and how do I get rid of it?

I have tried everything on these spots and nothing ever changes their appearance. I've done multiple passes with UC (by hand), D300 and D301 with a G110v2, SwirlX by hand. I'm not sure if it's clear coat failure, since it doesn't match any of the pictures I've seen on here. You can feel some of the spots with your finger but they are only on my spoiler (2006 civic coupe). Any advice for what these spots are and what I can use to finally either hide them or (hopefully) get rid of them? Appreciate y'alls help in advance.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Re: What is this and how do I get rid of it?

The look like etchings in the paint or at least damage to the clear coat. If you can feel it with your finger nails and they're big like that then it's definitely some damage to the CC. A cleaner polish won't take that off. It's not necessarily failure but damage IMO. It could be the similar, if not the same as rock chips.
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

I agree with Marc, looks similar to rock chip or sand pits. Except I'd expect them on the front bumper, not the spoiler. I've also seen it on pickup truck tailgates from driving around with the gate down. Could be bug impacts, but you and the bugs gotta be going pretty fast in opposite directions.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      David

Comment

You have clear coat failure .The only way to solve this is a repaint . Sorry for the bad news .

Comment

I figured it wasn't going away. Guess that what you get for not waxing your car the first couple years and keeping it outside everyday. Thanks to this forum and all I've learned here this will never happen to any future cars I have. Thanks for the insight guys.

Quick question, is there any chance I can wet sand the areas surrounding these spots to level the paint out and remove the failed CC and then polish and wax it to protect what's left of the paint? I've never wet sanded, but I've seen a lot of guys talk about it to smooth out new paint.

Comment

Originally posted by daysleeper2621 View Post
            I figured it wasn't going away. Guess that what you get for not waxing your car the first couple years and keeping it outside everyday. Thanks to this forum and all I've learned here this will never happen to any future cars I have. Thanks for the insight guys.

Quick question, is there any chance I can wet sand the areas surrounding these spots to level the paint out and remove the failed CC and then polish and wax it to protect what's left of the paint? I've never wet sanded, but I've seen a lot of guys talk about it to smooth out new paint.
            well, wet sanding it not as easy as it seem
            i think the best answer for your question it maybe , but i will suggest you to try some kind of doctor chip product instead of wet sanding it..
            Proud to be part of Meguiars Family

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');