• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yellow wax over NXT Tech Wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow wax over NXT Tech Wax?

I've been using Tech Wax with great results but find that it doesn't last all that long on my car.

Would it be a good idea to use your Hi-Tech Yellow Wax (26) over this to give it a longer life?

Many thanks

Bob.

My belief is that you should use the NXT Spray Wax over it instead. NXT is really stubborn stuff; I for one believe that the protection last really long. If you're one of those people who wash and re-use applicators, you'll know that it's really difficult to get NXT to emulsify, to go into solution.

Although I'm not the guy who made it, and have no privy to what's behind the scenes, I'd guess that it's really difficult to invent a chemical that both protects AND looks good for a long time. Thus, the existence of the Spray Wax. I see NXT as a 2-bottle system: NXT for the protection and original shine, Spray Wax to maintain the shine.

It takes a bit of re-training to use the Spray Wax efficiently. There's a thread here about it. The essence is, spray the wax on the applicator, not the paint; stay away from cracks and crevasses; work quickly and lightly: it doesn't need to be worked in, just spread around; and use 2 applicators to apply and 2 mfs to remove, for speed. Working this way, you can do an average sedan in about 20 minutes. I can do my Miata in under 10.

I don't know for sure, but my guess is that the shine of #26 will last longer, but the product will protect less.

Tom
    As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way.

Comment

I like #26 on top on NXT. It looks better than NXT by itself, imo, and you still have the protection of NXT plus #26.
      NXT x 2 + #16 or #26 is hard to beat.

Comment

Re: Yellow wax over NXT Tech Wax?

Originally posted by bobr
        I've been using Tech Wax with great results but find that it doesn't last all that long on my car.

Would it be a good idea to use your Hi-Tech Yellow Wax (26) over this to give it a longer life?

Many thanks

Bob.
        Hello Bob!

There's absolutely nothing wrong with topping NXT with #26. Some people like the look, some prefer the look of just NXT. It's all a matter of opinion. My suggestion, do half of your hood or trunk or similar. By doing this, you'll have a great 'side by side' comparison of NXT and NXT with #26.

I've gone on record here several times as stating that I really liked the look of #26 over NXT on some dark vehicles (including my old King Ranch F-150).

One thing to remember though, be sure to allow your NXT to properly set up before topping it with a product like #26 Hi-Tech Yellow.

Welcome to meguiarsonline.com and best of luck!! Let us know what you think!!

RP
        -The Final Detail-
        Lagrange, Kentucky
        thefinaldetail@insightbb.com
        CLICK HERE TO VISIT MY GALLERY

Comment

I say go for it. I started a thread over at autopia about my disappointment with NXT's durability, not knowing the can of worms I was opening. I detailed my mom's E320 and applied two coats of NXT followed by a final coat of 3M Paste Wax. I know the 3M wouldn't last long, but I figured the NXT would keep protecting. after about three washings with Zymol carwash and a couple of rain storms there was no more beading whatsoever. The water just sat on the hood & trunk lid like a large shallow lake. I know there could have been many factors involved, but basically it came down to neither NXT or 3M giving any protection after four weeks. I knew the 3M wouldn't last, but I thought the NXT would. I suppose it could have been the Zymol.
          Conversely, I waxed my wife's Accord with #26(she actually commented that it looked real nice & shiny!). It's been three weeks of on and off raining and the beading has not changed at all. The next week will be the deciding week, but I'm betting #26 will keep beading strongly

Just my two cents.
          Too much of a good thing is even better!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help.

I'll post some pics of the end result when I can

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');