• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advise

Hi everyone,

I was thinking of getting advises around here.. soon i am about to detail a car that his paint finish has a little bit broke down on the roof, the trunk and the hood.
    The car is from 1984 and it`s a red Honda crx type 1.
    look @ the pictures down here...

As you can see the fenders have still the original color as it was original painted back in 1984... but the hood ,trunk and the roof degread rapidly through the years...(acid rain maybe) I was thinking of doing the whole car with NXT wash, a clay job, and a cleaner wax number 6 ...but I want to restore the paintfinish with some color X applied with the G-100A Porter Cable. now i have this question..is this a good setup ? or any other recommendations to get the color back everywhere, as it was new....let me know what you all think of it

Hi Vandelete,

After washing and claying, either of those two cleaner/waxes will do a good job of cleaning the finish, restoring depth, color and gloss by restoring some Meguiar's trade secret polishing oils into the paint. The built-in wax will leave some shine and gloss also. Then you can re-wax using the NXT to take your results to a higher level.

One suggestion would be to apply a pure polish like the Deep Crystal Polish to really gorge the paint with rich polishing oils before applying the Tech Wax. Plus, just the act of applying a product has a polishing effect, so typically three products applied will look better than two products applied. I would strongly urge taping off the body lines on that hood as the paint is probably very thin there.

Best wishes with this project and have fun...
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

I tell my clients that bring me a vehicle like that, "IF THAT WERE A HORSE WE WOULD HAVE TO SHOOT IT."

It is really hard to tell from a picture but it looks like the paint (as you stated) has broken down, to the point you don’t have much to work with.

The buzz words here will be "maximum potential".

#6 maybe too light of a product to remove the upper layer of degraded paint.
      Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Joe makes a good point.

Try doing a little test spot on the finish first with one of the cleaner/waxes you have and see if it improves the finish. If it doesn't then the paint has become dead, or un-salvageable and if this is for a customer you might want to point this out and turn the work down.

If however a little polishing with a cleaner/wax shows good results then go for it.
        Mike Phillips
        760-515-0444
        showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

I did a little test spot with the #6 and a little scratchX too... the red comes back however my pad is red..so does that mean that the upper layer is already gone.. i cannot really tell if there is a clear coat on it... guess not. and Mike your advise to use the deep crystal polish..is that ok if i use the #7 instead? thanks for the reply`s guys

Comment

Your test and the appearance of the finish in the picture show it to be a non-clear coat finish, thus the reason you seeing pigment on your applicator.

M07 would be perfect for a polish.
            Mike Phillips
            760-515-0444
            showcargarage@gmail.com

Comment

ow ok then i will do it that way..so polishing i must focus on right now...

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');