• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question concearning show cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question concearning show cars

I have a friend who has a 62 custom t-bird. The car is garaged 24/7 and stored in the winter. I was just talking with him today and showing him some of my WW and MF towels, and he said he has no use for a waffle weave. I asked how he dries his car. Now for some reason his response left me speachless, he said he has never washed it!!

His yearly routine consists of using a California Car Duster to remove dust and then he QD's the car and follows that with his application of product #7 followed by #26.

Does this sound odd to anybody else? Are there any negatives to applying the #7,#26 combo multiple times a year? I'm not sure but are there bonding issues with #7 over #26 over #7over #26 and so on? Any input would be great.
    Last edited by erok01; Mar 25, 2005, 12:49 PM.

Lots of #7 and #26 are fine. It's the lack of washing that scares me.

I guess if it never gets any dirt on it that the duster and QD can't handle it's ok. Sure wouldn't work for me, I get way too much grit, tree sap, bird bombs, tar and miscellaneous gunk when I drive. I couldn't survive without shampoo and clay.

The big question is "how'zit look?"

PC.

Comment

For a show car, I don't find that uncommon at all. If it is garaged 24/7 and only see's the outside once and a while why not. My friends dad has a Porsche that lives in the garage and is not driven often. It is five years old and has roughly 4,000 miles. Never been washed. Quick detailer on the paint and wheels. Car looks good as the day it was painted.

Comment

hmmm, I understand that the washing thing isn't so crazy now. But what about apply 7 over 26 over 7 over 26. Is there any bonding issues with 7 over 26? (pardon my ignorance on the subject) I know you can layer products but does one remove the other or vice versa.

Comment

Since #7 is a pure polish, it is not going affect how well #26 does it's job. The #7 topper is going to give the car a very good shine and the 26 under it is going to give some protection when the #7 is gone. I have put a coat of 81 over the nxt on my car in the past. It looked really good for a short while. The pure polish on top is not going to last a long time, but it gives a really good look. Some of the people I know who have show cars never wax them. They simply clean the paint and keep putting on coats of polish. Now remember these are cars that go to shows in trailers and never see the street.

Comment

This vehicle is a show car -

I asked the owner before we got started, "wash or wipe down?" he was first suprized I asked. He told be he never washes it.
            Freedom prospers when Christianity is vibrant and the rule of law under God is acknowledged

Comment

Yeah the car has seen maybe 2500 miles in 4 years. It's not trailered but it is only driven to and from shows. The color is a light mink blue metallic and the only time I've seen it is in bright sunlight. I would like to further inspect it under different lighting to see what kind of swirls or scratches it has. He uses a cover for the car in his garage but from what I've heard sometimes a cover can produce scratches if the finish isn't 100% free from dust and particles.

So I guess the moral of the story is if you keep it clean a wash isn't necessary. That would never work for my daily beater!!

Thanks for the input everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');