• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

recomend some pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: recomend some pads

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
    You can use any sized foam pads you want - 3", 4", 5.5", or 6.5" You just need the proper sized backing plate to accommodate the foam pad you're using. In your case, yes the 6.5" pad will fit the 6" backing plate just fine. I think the backing plate slightly goes beyond the velcro region but it doesn't go beyond the foam pad itself. Just be careful when removing the foam pad from the GG backing plate because the attachment is really strong.

I myself like using Meguiar's backing plates to Meguiar's pads. If you're planning to get the W8207/9207 Softbuff 2.0 pads, I would highly suggest getting the W68DA backing plate.

For more information on backing plates, please read the great article written by Mike Stoops:
    Backing Plates - More Than Just A Way To Stick A Pad To A Buffer

great . Thank you all for the help. i very much appreciate it! i will prolly get the backing plate when i get used to my buffer. im going to use the normal 6.5 megs this year. then next year upgrade it to the 2.0

Comment

They are pretty much the same concept right the w8006 and w9006 are the older versions of the soft buff 2.0?

Comment

Yeah it's the same concept. The w8006 is a polishing pad that's equivalent to the w8207 pad while the w9006 finishing pad is equivalent to the w9207 pad. Like I said above, the 6" Griot's backing plate will work for the 6.5" softbuff pads. However, if I remember correctly, that BP goes beyond the loop material of the 6.5" softbuff pads so it might tear the foam as you apply pressure while working. You need the Meguiar's W67DA backing plate for your 6.5" softbuff pads.
        2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Yeah it's the same concept. The w8006 is a polishing pad that's equivalent to the w8207 pad while the w9006 finishing pad is equivalent to the w9207 pad. Like I said above, the 6" Griot's backing plate will work for the 6.5" softbuff pads. However, if I remember correctly, that BP goes beyond the loop material of the 6.5" softbuff pads so it might tear the foam as you apply pressure while working. You need the Meguiar's W67DA backing plate for your 6.5" softbuff pads.
          i was looking at some sites to buy the pads and it says a 6 inch will work perfectly with the 7 inch pads soft buff 2.0 lol. ok i guess its the good ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunarwolf View Post
            i was looking at some sites to buy the pads and it says a 6 inch will work perfectly with the 7 inch pads soft buff 2.0 lol. ok i guess its the good ones.
            It will work, yes but it won't be at its maximum potential. The W68DA will be the best fit for the softbuff 2.0 pads. These pads have a recessed loop area where the BP will fit perfectly.

But I thought you wanted to use the 6.5" softbuff pads for now?
            2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

It will work, yes but it won't be at its maximum potential. The W68DA will be the best fit for the softbuff 2.0 pads. These pads have a recessed loop area where the BP will fit perfectly.

But I thought you wanted to use the 6.5" softbuff pads for now?
              well i was gunna but the prices were about the same and i got the 2.0 pads in and my back plate fit them perfectly. i will say I WILL never wax by hand again. all i did is use some nxt and it pulled almost all the scratches out of the car and even most of the hardwater rain spots with 1 pass. i will definatly be getting more pads soon!

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');