• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Similar product as 3M PI 3 RC ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Similar product as 3M PI 3 RC ?

Last weekend I just went over my car with #80 followed by 2 coats of NXT. Most of the swirl marks are gone but some scratches are still around. The car feels very slick and smooth, the shine is good and it gives the car the wet look.

I did try to remove the scratches with 3M PI 3 RC with the W7000 pad on a random orbit polisher but no great result. I am wondering will #83 make a difference or I need something stronger ? I also find 3M PI3 RC tends to dry up too fast and become powdery, will #83 or those more aggressive products also dry up fast like 3M PI3 RC ?

M83 is a fairly aggressive cleaner/polish. Random orbital polisher? What kind? if the bonnet is larger than 6" and the speed is slow, then chances are good no product is going to work well.
    Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

The brand is Rupes BR 65AE, it looks very much like the G-100 and has a speed from 3000 to 7000 opm, 550 watt (pretty powerful) and the bonnet is 150mm (ie 6"). I think the machine should be ok, the question is what is the next more aggressive product after 3M PI3 RC because I do not want to buy something similar and get no result.

Comment

3m perfect it 3 compound is really aggressive. I think that the only way to get a good result out of a product like rubbing compound is to use a rotary buffer. I think is the equivalent of #85 diamond cut cleaner only it doesn't have diminishing abrasives in it. PI3 RC is one of the best compounds out there though, it is much more aggressive than #83. It is pretty well one of the most aggressive compounds you can get. My dad restores car and he wheels them with PI3 RC and they have heavy duty wetsanding marks, so it is a pretty aggressive product.
        Nothing but the best, That's why I use Meguiar's.
        1996 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC Dark Baltic Blue
        4.6 32 Valve DOHC V8

Comment

Hi 94gpse, do you mean that 3M PI3 RC should be used with the rotary to achieve good result ? In fact I did try using the rotary at 1200rpm with 3M PI3 RC and W7000 pad but created quite abit of swirl so that's why I am checking if there is any Meguiar's product that can work well with DA polisher to remove those slightly deeper swirl or scratches.

Comment

Yep, that is what I think. With that compound I wouldn't use a w7000 pad I would go with an W8000 it is a little weaker, that is what I have used and have had great results I have never really cared for the w7000 pad, it has always been a little to agressive for me. After you have used the 3m compound use #83 with a rotary and an w8000 pad. That should get rid of most of the swirls you have, then if there are still a few swirls left use #9 swirl remover it is a less agressive product than #83. I used this combo on my car hood yesterday and it came out great. If you use the rotary I would probably pick up the rpm to about 2000 Rpm. You should give the w8006 pad a try, it is the same as the w8000 only 6.5 inches instead of 8 inches, makes the rotary a little easier to use.
            4.6 32 Valve DOHC V8

Comment

Do you think I can get rid of the swirl created by 3M RC with #80 instead of #83 with W8006? Also care to share how you work with 3M RC ?Do you work the 3M RC until it becomes powdery, for me the RC turns powdery pretty fast and I feel that I do not have enough time to work with it.

Comment

#80 might work I haven't tried it to remove swirls yet, It will most likely take a lot longer to remove them with #80 then with #83, #83 is my favorite meguiar's product by far. When I use the 3m RC I usually do about a 2x2 ft. section at a time and I usually work it until it is almost dry, then use a microfiber to wipe it off. This seems to be the best way I have found to use a rotary with RC, but after a few times of using the rotary you will find the way that best works fo you. As far as the product getting powdery, I can't say I have had that problem before you might be using too much product or not enough. How much do you usually use??
                4.6 32 Valve DOHC V8

Comment

Which 3M RC are you using as there are different grades such as a light, medium, heavy cut fromula. The light cut gennerally takes care of 1500 grit sanding. If you are talking about that formula than #83 is probably about the same or weaker than that formula. #83 has lots of polishing oils in it so you can work with it longer, but at the same time it is pretty agressive with a rotary. IMO you should use a polishing pad and #80 to remove the marks left by the 3M or #83. Usually you can get away with using nothing after #83 if it was on a light color car and using a polishing pad. If a cutting pad was used then you much follow up with #80. You should not think about using anything more agressive than you are because it damage the paint.
                  Eddie

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I am using 3M PI3 RC and I apply a "X" across the W8006 pad, is that amount of product too little or too much ? BTW I am driving a red car so quite particular with those scratches and swirls marks.

Last edited by Gen2; Apr 1, 2005, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Using an "x" sounds like it is a little too much product. What I usually do is run a medium thickness bead about 6-8" inches on the panel, then put your buffer at the ten o clock position, start it and in a quick motion move it to the left of the bead and it will pick up the product without splattering it all over the place, in addition to being less messy it will give you the perfect amount of product. I think a great investment for you to perfect your buffing technique would be to buy the meguiars video " Removing paint defects"

I learned a great deal from that video.
                      4.6 32 Valve DOHC V8

Comment

Just to check which will be a better product to work with a DA polisher, 3M PI3 RC or #83 ?

Comment

4.6 32 Valve DOHC V8

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');