• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Claying Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Claying Glass

I have a question regarding glass cleaning/polishing. When claying glass, what type of lube is best to use? Would I use Quick Detailer? After claying, would the next step be Invisible Glass or NXT Glass Cleaner or do I need another step like a polish or wax? My glass is in pretty good shape, the windshield just has a slightly rough feeling.

Quik Detailer works great for a lubricant when claying glass. Afterwards, it's good idea to either wash the glass or wipe the glass clean with a glass cleaner like our new NXT Glass Cleaner to insure there is no residue or smears.

Mike Phillips
    760-515-0444
    showcargarage@gmail.com

"Find something you like and use it often"

Comment

Thanks Mike. My concern was using a lube that would leave some sort of oily film on the glass. But I guess that the NXT Glass Cleaner would take care of it. I think I read somewhere that one of the members didn't like putting anything on their glass other than water or cleaner.

Comment

Maybe I sound silly for asking this but, why clay glass?

Comment

Well, contaminants land on glass as well as paint. If someone wants the shiniest glass, they can clean the glass. they clay the glass for an even better clean and shine. Then use a glass cleaner again to remove streaks.

Kinda the same way that a paint still needs clayed after washing to remove more dirt, glass cleaner can miss some things, that a clay bar can get.
          Last edited by Murr1525; Mar 31, 2005, 08:05 PM.
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Not a silly question at all. Clayed mine a while back for the first time in the cars life. Prior to that I had never used a glass cleaner, just distilled h20. There was a lot on the clay. From the inside, the window was much clearer.

Comment

So you guys think just claying and then using a glass cleaner will give a great shine? No need to use any type of cleaner or polish? Also when you clayed did you just use a quick detailer for lube?

Thanks
              Last edited by RockyTop; Apr 1, 2005, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Quick detailer works really well for lube. I usually use final inspectiona and h20 mix. That is because I am able to buy it in a gallon.

Comment

My favorite one-two-three punch on glass is to first use some Bon-Ami cleanser (the mildest one) to deep clean and in affect......... lightly polish the glass.

I wet the windshied with plenty of water (after it has been washed with car wash soap already), sprinkle some Bon-Ami on a soaking wet wash mitt (dedicated for this purpose) and give it a quick scrubbing and rinse thoroughly.

Then, I use a light mist of good QD and WW towel to dry the glass.

Lastly, I use a fine glass cleaner like NXT glass cleaner or Meguiar's Detailer Series glass cleaner to "finish it off"!

The windows are "super clean" and really sparkle and shine after this procedure. The claying seems to have a similar affect as the Bon Ami treatment, I'm just partial to the Bon Ami.............. old habit I guess?
                  Boss_429

Comment

I noticed after I clayed my glass (Not the windshield) that it looked much better, and I was able to see out the glass much easier in a rain storm too.......And that means a lot to me for safety's sake.

As far as my lube is concerned, I use a 50/50 mix of Final Detail & Distilled water.
                    r. b.

Comment

Why didn't you clay your windshield?

Comment

Originally posted by RockyTop
                        Why didn't you clay your windshield?
                        I didn't want to get any FD on it......I was afraid it might smear when I was using my wipers, and thereby making it harder to see out the glass in a rainstorm.
                        r. b.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');