• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to decide on an Orbital Polisher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to decide on an Orbital Polisher

Hi guys,

I've found a fairly reasonably priced Black and Decker orbital polisher: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...28#Description

I can't seem to find what opm it does though.

I'm just wondering whether I should get the above Orbital polisher, with no speed control OR
    the below, which looks like a straight rotary polisher but with speed control.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/onl...28#Description

I'm just want it for polishing. Probably never for cutting.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Trying to decide on an Orbital Polisher

First off, I'd back off on the BD buffer. If you want/need an good all around machine, look at many DA's that are out there. Porter Cable, Meguiars, etc.

Referring the rotary: Now, I must ask, what is you experience? I do NOT mean to demean you in the slightest, just don't want to see you purchase something that (at this time ) is way over the top.

Bill

Comment

Black and decker I regularly used in the past, but it is powerless for cutting and polishing. I'd just invest in a porter cable 7424XP, or Megs G110v2 or griots or something in those lines. Even if you don't plan to do some cutting or polishing, its worth having that extra power in reserve and believe me, in the future you will find yourself trying to do some paint correcting

Comment

I'm assuming that your from Australia because you are looking at supercheap auto.
        Why not have a look at www.waxit.com.au
        I bought the concours 900 DA and love it. It's a tad more pricey though but definitely worth it.
        There's also www.carcareproducts.com.au
        I believe they sell the das6 and das6 pro DA's

Comment

There's also www.zas.com.au
          Oh and if your from Melbourne waxit have a showroom you can walk into and browse, great customer service there as well.

Comment

BillE and ffboy: I have never used a polisher and have borrowed a friends B&D KP600. However I cannot for the life of me, find the foam applicator bonnets in the shops so I haven't been able to use it! ARGH! the frustration. Could I just wrap some cloth or sponge around the backing pad for spreading the polish?
            I wanted to start with a cheaper, less powerful polisher first and work my way up from there as I get more experienced.
            Right now I am not too fussed with paint correction, I just want to polish the car! With the less powerful units, I keep thinking 'what can possibly go wrong? It can't be THAT hard?!'

Zed man: yeh man, I'm from Sydney. I'll take a look at those sites Thanks.

What does everyone think about these variable speed ones that seem a fair bit cheaper than the DAS ones:

Comment

Both of those are 'rotary' type machine.

But I'd realllly NOT recommend either one for you. It isn't that they are difficult to use, but they are so easy to make a mistake with. In other words, you can really mess a car in a hurry. IF you do consider them, see if you can get a used hood (bonnet) from an auto body shop to practice on. There IS a learning curve.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillE View Post
                Both of those are 'rotary' type machine.

But I'd realllly NOT recommend either one for you. It isn't that they are difficult to use, but they are so easy to make a mistake with. In other words, you can really mess a car in a hurry. IF you do consider them, see if you can get a used hood (bonnet) from an auto body shop to practice on. There IS a learning curve.

Bill
                Oh dear. Too late! Just bought one today haha...
                So the common mistakes are cutting too much paint on corners etc? I'm only planning to use a very mild polish to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by CKL View Post
                  Oh dear. Too late! Just bought one today haha...
                  So the common mistakes are cutting too much paint on corners etc? I'm only planning to use a very mild polish to start with.
                  That is the main problem plus you can actually burn thru the paint.

When I started out (over 50 years ago-geeze I really feel old saying that) that was all there was-rotarys. But the paint was much different also. Guess one could say, more forgiving.

I actually can't offer much advice on using a rotary. I haven't swung a wheel (an old U.S. term for using a rotary) in over 30 years or so. Hopefully someone will chime in with some solid advice.

PM sent.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by BillE View Post
                    That is the main problem plus you can actually burn thru the paint.

When I started out (over 50 years ago-geeze I really feel old saying that) that was all there was-rotarys. But the paint was much different also. Guess one could say, more forgiving.

I actually can't offer much advice on using a rotary. I haven't swung a wheel (an old U.S. term for using a rotary) in over 30 years or so. Hopefully someone will chime in with some solid advice.

PM sent.

Bill
                    Wow Bill, you must have some solid detailing experience behind you! Did you work in the automotive industry?

Comment

Originally posted by CKL View Post
                      Wow Bill, you must have some solid detailing experience behind you! Did you work in the automotive industry?
                      Not really...started out as a wrench turner in the late fifties. But my buddy's dad was the shop foreman over in the body shop and he taught me how to do a lot (as for waxin' and polishin'). I left the 'industry' in '64 and really never returned to it. I did/do try to stay up to date as far as 'detailing' went, but only for my own vehicles. Just something I have enjoyed doing.

Bill

Comment

ffBoy: Amen to that...since I got my DA I'm looking at all of my neighbors cars to see what I can do!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');