• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should I add to my routine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I add to my routine?

I typically do the following

Wash the car weekly.
    I use two bucket method and use meguiars deep crystal car wash
    I dry the car with a microfiber drying cloth

and then I wax the car with ultimate quik wax which is absolutely amazing.

I used to wash my car and then use a quik detailer from meguiars. the car looked good but didn't bead as much water or hold up after a few days comapred to using the actual wax.

I was wondering what esle I could add for the next step in keeping my car looking nice?

Maybe a sealant? which one is good to use and quick?

Re: What should I add to my routine?

The traditional steps are as follows: 1: Wash, 2: Clean/Prep, 3: Polish, 4: Wax, 5: Maintain. For basic needs, I would wash, then buy some Cleaner Wax and follow up with Ultimate Quik Wax. For more advanced stuff, some Ultimate Compound would be very helpful if your paint is oxidized or has scratches (Just to clarify: Ultimate compound should ONLY be used in Step 2 of the traditional step system. It will strip the wax off of your paint). If you aren't worried about scratches, I would just do this: Wash, use Smooth Surface Clay kit, Polish (Optional. Ultimate Polish is great.), and Wax. If you want to continue using Ultimate Quik Wax at is perfectly okay, but you may like Ultimate Liquid Wax or NXT Tech Wax 2.0. If you don't want to get too technical, I would do the basic plan, but for more shine and durability, I would go with advanced. For more information about any of the products I mentioned, look at the Meguiar's website or here on the forum.
    Ryan
    ~Ryan

Comment

I do have some swirls but I don't have a rotary device.

would using ultimate compound by hand get some out?

I probably should clay the car too, but I've never done it and this car is 13 years old.. would 1 bar be enough?

Comment

Here is a 50/50 after polishing by hand with ultimate compound

Ultimate compound might be over kill if you only have some fine swirls, i would recommend a less aggressive product like ultimate polish first. Then ultimate compound if ultimate polish doesn't work.

You should clay your vehicle before you polish in order to remove bonded contaminates .
        Meguiars clay kit comes with two bars of clay, that should be enough to clay your car and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by jam3s121 View Post
          I do have some swirls but I don't have a rotary device.

would using ultimate compound by hand get some out?

I probably should clay the car too, but I've never done it and this car is 13 years old.. would 1 bar be enough?
          Ultimate COmpound is a consumer level product that delivers results even for people with no access to a polisher of any sort. So yes, ultimate compound can be used by hand as posted by Ravi_1992, but it definitely won't be easy. You will have to set a good amount of time to remove any defects. Clay would be good for your car, megs clay kit has 2 clays, and usually 1 clay bar is enough to do 4-5 cars, so you are definitely covered for some time to come.

Comment

For removing swirls, go with a less aggressive product. SwirlX is perfect.
            ~Ryan

Comment

So SwirlX or ultimate compound for getting rid of some swirls my hood could really use and trunk

I really wanna get the car clayed and put that stuff on it as it looks pretty amazing and I'd like to get the swirls out of my car.

Also is there any type of detailer or quick wax that won't cause scratches if theres a light layer of dust on the car?

I've noticed using UQW that theres less dust on my car but I live on a dirt road so getting some small spots dirty is inevitable

Comment

UQW is a sealant. You might want to try a carnauba wax such as GC carnauba or M26 on top of that.

Comment

I am going to take some pictures of my audi tomrrow hopefully you guys can suggest what type of swirl remover I should purchase.

I am planning to clay the entire car and hopefully use swirlx or ultimate compound as well as the pure polish from meguiars which is suggested to be used after claying and using a scratch remover correct followed by wax.

so next wash its gonna be
                  wash
                  clay
                  swirlx/uc depends on which I should get
                  polish
                  wax.

i don't know how long this will take.. but I know i'm going to have a problem.

I live on a dirt road, my driveway consists of dirt and rocks.

Typically my car gets a small light layer of dust on it daily although not as bad as in the spring from pollen.
                  I wanna use swirlx/uc by hand and i know I won't be able to do the entire car at once. I'll probably try to do remove swirls from my hood first, but I know ill be tired so what should I do the next day I wanna remove some swirls? Washing the entire car would not be fun but its gonna have some dust on it and I have made the mistake of using instant detailer on a layer of light dust only to find fresh swirls so I don't want to make that mistake again.

thanks guys

Comment

For swirl removal by hand, you'll almost certainly want the Ult. Compound. Just be sure to use a smooth foam applicator, and use your palm/area under fingers, not finger tips.

As far as working conditions... not going to be easy. You may end up quickly washing a few times. Might be good to try to focus on clay/UC/Polish/Wax a panel a day or something.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');