• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help

Hi, this is my first post and I'm new to the site.

I have a 1971 Nova that I rebuilt a few years ago. Since I don't have a garage, it has to sit outside (covered) in the driveway.

After it rains, I take the cover off the car to let the condensation dry and the paint has been suffering from it.

The sides of the car look as they did when I bought it, but the roof, hood and trunk have become really oxidized and have white spots that
    appear to be embedded in the paint. They look like water spots that have burned into the paint.
    I've tried a few things, but I'm no expert so I thought I'd ask here to get some opinions.

The paint wasn't done well to begin with, It's a lacquer from what I can tell. I'd like to see if I can do anything to make it look better for this season. I plan to have the body and paint redone next year.

I only saw an option to attached a URL based image, so I cut and pasted on instead.

Thanks,
    D

Re: help

Can you upload the pic/pics to your gallery here?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I didn't know I could. just signed up about 30 minutes ago. thanks for letting me know. I'll go and try to add them now...

Comment

I think you should be able to.

Comment

Done, thanks for the heads up on where to put them.

Comment

Hmm.. doesnt really look like anything is failing.

What things did you try so far?

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
              Hmm.. doesnt really look like anything is failing.

What things did you try so far?
              I've tried a few cleaner/prep waxes, rubbing compounds, twirl removers.
              If I use a wax, it dulls out how obvious the marks are, but they are still there and come back as soon as it rains
              and the sun hits the painted surface.

I be the first to tell you that I know nothing about paint restoration or detailing, so I'm guessing
              that I'm going about it all wrong.

I can get everything around the white or milky spots to shine like before, but I have no clue how to get those spots out, or even if it's possible.

They seem to be right in the paint, so I'm starting to think that I'm stuck with it until I get the car repainted.

Comment

Spent most of the day with uc and elbow grease. Worked everything out.
                Sealer glaze and yellow 26 wax afterward.
                Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Comment

Yes, that is probably the plan that would be recomended.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');