• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Micro Swirls :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro Swirls :(

I just finished claying and used M09 - Swirl Remover 2.0 Polish to get rid of swirls and it did get rid of larger ones but I've noticed all these little micro ones popping up.

Does anyone know how to get rid of them?

Re: Micro Swirls

Looks like you're experiencing micro-marring. This is because you have soft paint. In fact, it's extremely delicate paint because M9 has a "3" cutting ability in the bottle's scale.

Is your paint Base Coat/Clear Coat or single stage? What pad are you using? What speed are you using your D/A? What other products do you have in your arsenal? What you need to do is either one or a combination of the following: Reduce the cutting ability of your polish, reduce the cutting ability of your pad, reduce the speed of your tool or reduce the pressure a little bit.

This article will be appropriate for you: The Challenge of Delicate Paint

Hope this helps.
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
      Looks like you're experiencing micro-marring. This is because you have soft paint. In fact, it's extremely delicate paint because M9 has a "3" cutting ability in the bottle's scale.
      Brilliant. Thanks for your help Marc - you're always very helpful around here

I believe the paint is tri-coated with a tinted clear coat. The paint is Milano Red on a 08 Accord - I knew that Honda paint had a reputation of being soft but I didn't realize it was this soft?

I was using a wool pad and I'm not sure about the speed, it only has one speed :l. Was it obvious that these marks were from a D/A?

I read up that you're supposed to finish off with another pad as the wool one is for major buffing. So do you think it would be advisable to get a better finishing pad? I initially thought that M9 might have been a bit weak but I'm guessing not now?

Comment

You're very welcome! We're all here to help.

Originally posted by I CU2 View Post
        I was using a wool pad
        Woah!!! There's your culprit. You need to try using the Meguiar's W8207 Foam Polishing Pad. Try using M205 and see if it clears up those micro-marring. If not, try using Ultimate Compound.

I'm not sure about the speed, it only has one speed :l.
        Can you post a link to the type of tool you're using? I'm very curious what it is.

I read up that you're supposed to finish off with another pad as the wool one is for major buffing. So do you think it would be advisable to get a better finishing pad? I initially thought that M9 might have been a bit weak but I'm guessing not now?
        Wool pads are reserved for extremely bad defects or for removing sanding marks. Typically, you don't use the wool pad with your typical polishing. But when you use a wool pad, then you need to finish off the hazing or buffer trails left by the wool pad using a finer polish and a foam pad (could be multiple steps after).

BTW, nice ride! I always wished I got the red Accord coupe instead of my 08 sedan.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc08EX View Post
          Can you post a link to the type of tool you're using? I'm very curious what it is.
          BTW, nice ride! I always wished I got the red Accord coupe instead of my 08 sedan.
          It's one of these cheapies hehe:

Aww thanks but we don't actually have the Accord coupe here . We're given two options, the US Accord or the European Accord. I have the latter:

I tried polishing with M09 again using a hand foam applicator again and look at this:

Ignore the marks you see in the picture - they're a reflection of the camera lens/fingers.

There are some minor marks in the paint - I just can't get a picture of them! I've tried taking heaps of pictures but they just won't show (does that mean that the pictures I see online of flawless paint finishes aren't actually that perfect? o.o)

Do you have any suggestions on how to get rid of them (or do you think I should just leave them)?

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to attach a foam pad to an orbital. Your approach of using a foam applicator pad was a good choice. Good job!

To me, you already have flawless paint. I would like to see the marks first before making a suggestion. But I supect thathey are Random Isolated Deeper Scratches (RIDS). Being able to remove them will highly depend on how deep the scratch is. I say leave them to be on the safe side.

Great job on removing the micro marring! How about some full sun shots of your euro Accord?

Comment

I'd love to! But truthfully, that's about 1/4 of the bonnet and I just haven't gotten around to doing the rest of my car yet haha

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');