• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2010C6 water spots returned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010C6 water spots returned

The C6 I did this past weekend http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-2010-Black-C6 Im having a problem with the water spots returning. Here is a couple of pics from today.

rear fender

hood

I know I need more light in my shop and a handheld light for better correction inspection but I did pull this car in the sun before UP to inspected it and thought they were removed. I did not do a IPA wipe down does D300 mask water spots?

Owner says car has not gotten wet or has been washed since I did the work. Tuesday and Wednesday the water spots were not there now come Thursday you can see them what changed?

Re: 2010C6 water spots returned

The same thing happened to me just this weekend when I did the 300/301 combo on my wagon. At first when inspected with my brinkman they were all removed or so I thought and then a few days later I noticed them. I was so frustrated. Im guessing that the 300/mf disc isnt strong enough to pull them out. Im thinking about giving the car the UC/UP treatment later on down the road.
    Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
    2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
    2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

It isn't necessarily a shortcoming of product cut capability, the fact of the matter is water spots/etching can often extend well beneath the surface of the paint/clearcoat and run so deep it simply can't be fully removed without removing too much good paint in the process.

Now, I can't say with certainty that is the case here, but if you were able to compound/polish and remove all other defects, then it is highly possible that these remaining etches are simply too severe to be removed safely.

Comment

Im not blaming the product mostly my lack of light and that im still new to this. Does D300 conceal spots like this should I do a IPA wipedown after compound and before my inspection? I have a felling this is where i messed up at.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Kleis View Post
          It isn't necessarily a shortcoming of product cut capability, the fact of the matter is water spots/etching can often extend well beneath the surface of the paint/clearcoat and run so deep it simply can't be fully removed without removing too much good paint in the process.

Now, I can't say with certainty that is the case here, but if you were able to compound/polish and remove all other defects, then it is highly possible that these remaining etches are simply too severe to be removed safely.
          Im not blaming product ability but I understand what you are saying. When I did my wifes car the water spotting was removed within 18 hours. Would you think that in just that time from water hitting the surface to being removed would have them etched in that bad? I would imagine eventually later on down after a few more compounding jobs they would be removed correct?
          Practice doesn't make perfect, the dedication to achieve perfection makes perfect. "Smack"
          2011 Jet Black 328i Touring
          2007 Jet Black 335i Sedan

Comment

I didn't take it as you guys blaming the product - nor was I "defending" it. No worries!

I was simply trying to point out that sometimes no product can remove them.

As for how much time is safe, honestly, it depends on a ton of variables: what is in the water itself (some areas produce far harsher water than others), how protected the surface is, whether or not it sits in the sun (and how hot it is), the paint itself and I am probably forgetting some other potential factors as well. Sometimes I come across water spots that appear severe and owners tell me have been on the vehicle for weeks or more and they come right off. Other times water spots that are only a few days old will be stubborn and leave traces behind.

Sadly, this is one of those things that requires troubleshooting and diagnosing on a case-by-case basis.

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');