• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New car, Need new skills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New car, Need new skills

Hello All,

I'm new here, but have been reading for a few weeks off and on.

I've recently purchased a new Miata that I've been driving myself mad about keeping clean.

I'm not new to washing, claying, waxing (by hand), but would like to learn more about the additional steps between claying and waxing. I'm overwhelmed by the number of products available, which to use, when to use them, and how often to use them. Seems like a long process to do often, I usually wash each week, but somehow feel I should be doing more. Does everyone here wash, clay/clean, polish, and wax every time? Can wax coats be stacked?

My car is black, garaged, and shows every bit of dust. I usually end up washing it often instead of a quick detail because I'm afraid all of those visible dust particles will induce fine scratches if I try a quick detailer. Of course once I park it the cycle begins again.

I want to maintain my car well, but don't always have a ton of time. My home is in full sun until evening so that poses a problem.

I currently have a few products I've been trying out.

1. Megs clay kit
    2. gold class wash
    3. gold class carnuba plus paste wax
    4. megs cleaner wax.

Re: New car, Need new skills

Well, if there are no defects really present, then it is pretty simple. You can look at two simple details if you want, and see what you want ot ry out:

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. Clean/Polish - Ult. Polish
    4. Wax
    5. Wax

or:

1. Wash
    2. Clay
    3. ColorX or Cleaner/Wax
    4. Wax

6. Maintain - UQW or Gold Class Spray Wax for after washing / while drying.

Using the spray wax should help spread out the time between more complete details.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Re: New car, Need new skills

How often do you perform a complete detail? I understand most folks clay just a few times per year. So am I to understand between clay sessions you just use a cleaner, polish, wax? Or would you just polish, wax? Is it ok to apply new wax over the old or do you strip the old off with something? Sorry, I'm just imagining a good full detail spring and fall with some type of maintenance in between whatever that my be. My car is not a daily driver and will not be out of the garage in the winter.

How about dusters? Do they work well? As mentioned my car collects lots of stuff while sitting in the garage. Would a duster just drag this over the paint and cause issues?

Comment

Working...
      X
      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');