• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When does clay need replacing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When does clay need replacing?

I got the kit and have already clayed 1.5 cars and an suv. I already picked up another bottle of QD since Im almost out.

My wife has been parking under trees during her rounds since its been so hot lately. Theres soo many tiny drops of **** all over the car. Not too many bird droppings but a lot of stuff most likey tree "excrement". Anyway, gently washing as i normally do doesnt remove them so i clayed the top part last nite.

So, how many uses does a clay bar put out? Do i go by color, looks and feel? If so what are the parameters, so to speak?

Thanks!

Re: When does clay need replacing?

It's kind of a judgement call really. I usually go by colour and how dirty it looks. ...But I'd say you should be able to get more than 1.5 cars out of it... unless they were really filthy.

I usually "demote" my dirty clay bars to be used only on glass, wheels etc...
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

So there is no real guide to its longevity? What if my "dirty" is worse than your "dirty"?

So far, it feels like it can handle at least 4 more uses. Im just worried about scratches it may cause form being too dirty.

The clay looks like a drafting eraser now. Somewhere in between white and duct tape color.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishmaniac View Post
        So there is no real guide to its longevity? What if my "dirty" is worse than your "dirty"?

So far, it feels like it can handle at least 4 more uses. Im just worried about scratches it may cause form being too dirty.

The clay looks like a drafting eraser now. Somewhere in between white and duct tape color.
        just make sure when you re-knead it that its white, and you should be fine. When you keep kneading and it keeps turning up brown or black or whatever color Id say time for a new clay bar. but again as stated before really a judgement call

Comment

Originally posted by jvs1991 View Post
          just make sure when you re-knead it that its white, and you should be fine. When you keep kneading and it keeps turning up brown or black or whatever color Id say time for a new clay bar. but again as stated before really a judgement call
          I agree, also when you knead it and you notice that the clay is not really holding up, in other words you start to see that the clay is not really bonding onto itself that's another sign that you need to replace it.
          Jesse

2009-2014 Meguiar's/Car Crazy SEMA Team
          www.ShineTechAutoDetail.com
          Facebook www.detailing.com

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');