• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I remove polish and wax stuck in all the chips and scratches?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I remove polish and wax stuck in all the chips and scratches?

Hi everyone I had recently done a prep,cut and wax on my car to help with the many fine scratches on it.This had of course helped with the fine scratches however another problem then arose that because there was so many scratches and chips the polish and wax got stuck in them and turned white. This would not be a problem if my car where in fact white, unfortunately it is black so it has made my car look much worse than what it did originally. Is there any way to solve this apart from a full respray? I have tryed high pressure hose to blast it out, got little toothpicks soaked in methylated spirits to pluck it out which did not work because there were very small chips that it had went into. Is there any other options which I should try?

Re: How do I remove polish and wax stuck in all the chips and scratches?

Hey mate, good to see another Aussie on here. What products were you using? I have the same problem with certain polishes and waxes drying white in the stone chips on the front of my dark blue car.

I have since stopped using NXT on the bonnet and have begun to use #26 Hi Tech Yellow Wax, and NXT 2.0 on the rest of the car. #26 dries clear and so is not noticeable in the stone chips. My prep stage is almost always the same, clay and Ultimate Polish. The polish does not leave white residue, but others do (I know Colorx definetely does).

I suggest going over the chipped parts with UP to clean out the old stuff, and then reapplying #26.

EDIT: I use the paste version of #26.
    Last edited by LS1BERLINA; Aug 11, 2012, 03:43 AM. Reason: More info

Comment

i would imagine that claying that area very carefully would work. it may, however the wax from where you want it,as well.

Comment

Try a toothbrush and regular Quick Detailer (maroon bottle) I use a "detailing brush" shaped like a toothbrush, it has stiffer bristles and is wedged. This may not remove all of the excess wax, but will put enough of a dent in it that the rest will eventually come out with subsequent washes.

Respectfully submitted,
        BINGO53

Comment

Isn't the Clay bar designed to remove contaminants from the surface though and not the paint chips and crevices though. Because that was my original plan but it was pointed out to me that this would not work.

Comment

Originally posted by ve1 View Post
            Isn't the Clay bar designed to remove contaminants from the surface ...
            That is completely correct.

Clay will only remove the stuff stuck to the TOP of the paint. In my case, oak sap and aphid poop.
            Dried wax can only be carefully "scratched at" , or picked at when its down into a crevice.

Comment

LS1Berlina Was the ultimate polish what removed the white marks from the stone chips? because the last thing I want to do is apply another layer of compounds in the scratches and dents and make it further more difficult for the white marks to be removed especially since there will be a clear layer on top of them. Also do you think it might just eventually come out after multiple washes?
              Also it is good to see another Aussie on here I have been reading this forum for a long time now (lots of good guides) but never had a serious enough question to ask nor knew enough to contribute so never needed to join.

Comment

BINGO53 I was also told by a detailer to do exactly what you are saying but the problem is that the dried wax is in such tiny holes that it would take me forever to complete the job unless there is a detailing brush which is safe to use on all of the car without scratching it? I will try and upload a picture to show you.

Comment

Comment

Comment

rubbing alcohol does the trick for me. then use a wax that doesn't turn white when it dries. a very thin application of M20 has never disappointed me. Also D156 is awesome too!

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Won't rubbing alcohol take off the clear coat/paint if used?

Comment

Originally posted by ve1 View Post
                          Won't rubbing alcohol take off the clear coat/paint if used?
                          not in my experience. only if it's a single stage paint.
                          cc is a nice protectant layer.
                          ISA isn't strong enough to break threw the CC.
                          I suppose if you did it for a long period of time it would.
                          As with anything do a test spot to be sure
                          I use ISA on the whole car to remove the wax and oils from the paint so I can see the paint without any enhancers.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Okay that sounds good how would you go about applying it and how much should you dilute the ISA? The logical thing to do of course would be to work in small sections of course and to not leave on the paint work for to long, but would you use something like an applicator pad or just a terry towel/microfiber cloth?

Comment

any one of those aplacators will work. I would spray it on and rub it in a little to get into the wax. Another thing you can use would be a body solvent or a tar remover if ISA doesn't work

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');