• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with Hard Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Hard Water

On any map of the US with a scale of hard water, Louisville KY is flashing red. It's hard water hell.

Even a single drop of water left on the car after a wash leaves a bright calcium-white water spot.

Is there anything I can hook up to the hose to soften or filter the water? What types of filters are effective on this? I'm pretty frustrated. I can't even wash the car and get decent results.
    2015 Toyota Corolla S Plus in Barcelona Red Metallic

Re: Help with Hard Water

Generally you want something more than just hose end, more like the bigger canister type in the garage. But you could set up the plumbing to only flow through the hose when washing the car.

Does it happen to fast for you, even when drying with a QD spray or something?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
      Generally you want something more than just hose end, more like the bigger canister type in the garage. But you could set up the plumbing to only flow through the hose when washing the car.

Does it happen to fast for you, even when drying with a QD spray or something?
      Well I live at an apt complex where there is a "car washing station" aka semi covered area with a hose. I even have to provide my own nozzle.

I'm afraid to use anything on the car to dry due to the extremely soft clear coat. Anything, and I mean anything, leaves swirls.

All I can do is the flood technique which helps, but still leaves bad spots.

Comment

Also, what about that Mr Clean no rinse canister thing? Remember those? I think they stopped making them but I'm sure I could find a few on eBay, that is if they work.

Comment

Well.. better than nothing... I wouldnt use the spot free canister though, didnt like that.

So no towels either then? How about a leaf blower?
          2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

How about a drying aid? Rinseless wash in a spray bottle to help lubricate and soften the water.

Comment

I was just thinking about hard water the other day.
              It's worth mentioning that cold water is better to use for washing the car than any sort of warm water. Warm/hot water contains much more particles such as calcium.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent 99 View Post
                Also, what about that Mr Clean no rinse canister thing? Remember those? ....
                Yeah, they sort of worked.

The problem was that the cartridges were really small and you burned through them really quick. The worse your water, the faster you use up the cartridge.

As far as de-ionizing filters like the Mr. Clean go, the big systems like CR Spotless cost a lot more up front but are cheaper to use over the long haul. But either way, they ain't cheap.

If you have a coin-op car wash with spotless rinse near by, that's one option.

Some guys buy bottled purified water (de-ionized, distilled or RO'ed) and use a pump sprayer for final rinse.

If using purified water is too much of a hassle, using a rinseless wash or doing your final wipe down with a QD and super soft microfiber towels is a good option.

pc

Comment

Go waterless!!!!
                  Or buy/rent a DI tank
                  Gouts Garage has what you need
                  buffer, polisher, car wash, speed shine, wax, ceramic, polish, sealant, cleaner, random orbital, microfiber, paint clay, quick detailers, wheel cleaner, tire dressing, waterless, towels, garage accessories

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Mr Clean Autodry works for me but as the other pc said the filter doesn't last much. I think I merely get three full wash per canister. Lately I use Rinse Free Express Wash with water from the reverse osmosis system in my kitchen. I love RFEW. It save me a lot of water.
                    2010 Subaru Legacy GT - Graphite Gray Metallic

Comment

Ghost, if I remember by chemistry right, some of the calcium salts in water are actually less soluble in hot water versus cold water. That is why you get scale build up in your hot water heater and hot water lines in the house.

Comment

About the only real way to avoid hard water spotting is to use "soft water". Here is a very protable unit that works great.

http://www.portablewatersoftener.com/about.htm We have a mobile RV detail crew that works in our RV resort and uses one of the softeners. No water spots.
                        Barry

Comment

You could always do a quick detail after you wash.
                          BMW ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

Comment

I am having the same issue when I wash my black tundra. I can add a softner to my outside water line. Any one have a recommendation on model? I would like to keep the cost around 100. I dont want to invest in a 5K osmosis system.
                            Last edited by luc.who; Oct 21, 2012, 09:19 AM. Reason: wash
                            Presently in York Pa
                            2012 FLHXSE3 Black and Slate Gray
                            2012 Tundra CM Black
                            2015 Acura TLX White Pearl

Comment

Originally posted by luc.who View Post
                              I am having the same issue when I wash my black tundra. I can add a softner to my outside water line. Any one have a recommendation on model? I would like to keep the cost around 100. I dont want to invest in a 5K osmosis system.
                              Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
                              Go waterless!!!!
                              Or buy/rent a DI tank
                              Gouts Garage has what you need
                              http://www.griotsgarage.com/search.do?query=water
                              ^^^^^^^^^^^

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');