• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing UQW...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing UQW...

I've read that some people use UQW on their auto glass. I want to try this but is there a guaranteed method of removing UQW unlike Rain-X which is almost impossible to remove? For example would 70% isopropyl alcohol remove UQW? What exactly is UQW? Rain-X is silicone stuff right? I'm assuming UQW is just some kind of petroleum based oilish product? So alcohol should cut right through that right?

Re: Removing UQW...

UQW is just a car wax, so alcohol woould remove it.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

UQW is a mist and wipe product. You spray it on the finish (paint or in this case, glass), massage it into the surface, flip the towel over to the drier side of the Microfiber, then wipe off any excess or allow the product to flash dry, and remove and is not some oilish product. The only problem you'll have is when you apply way too much product it can smear and streak badly if done so. Alcohol can cut through many waxes and sealants

Comment

You could also just clay the windshield to remove any unwanted product.

Comment

I have been using UQW on my windshields for about a year with 0 issues. Just spray and wipe. Works great and have not had the need to remove it.

Comment

What those above said, IPA to clean and clay should get the job done. You should never wax the windshield, (wiper blades and all )
            BMW ZSCCA Area Rep SoCal

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys!

I tried clay on Rain-X and it didn't work. I ordered some Rain-X extreme clean to get it off since they said it would and because the MSDS says it has aluminum oxide which is roughly what Scratch-X and Swirl-X have so I assume it takes a thin layer off of the glass.

Comment

Rain-X in my experience isn't a bad product, but i did have trouble with their windshield wax. I let it dry for too long, when it should have been removed almost right after application. The original one is better, but has to be applied more often. UQW will work well, just don't use too much to prevent streaking.

Comment

Not really going to remove a layer of glass with anything wiped on by hand, unless you actually gouge the surface.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');