• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What the heck is this defect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the heck is this defect?

Hey folks,

Long time since I posted here but it's good to be back. I recently picked up a BMW 335i convertible and overall the paint is in decent shape. I do have a question about a strange defect I've never seen before - I can tell that the car had some sort of clear bra type protection up front but on the hood there is a "streaking" which is bugging the crapola out of me. I've clayed and used Ultimate Compound, Swirl Remover, Ultimate Polish, and NXT Wax on the entire car at this point (all by hand - ugh) but these babies are going nowhere.

Any advice on first of all what this is and more importantly how to attack it would be appreciated!

Well...can't post pics...will try later

Re: What the heck is this defect?

Is it a deep scratch that could be felt with your fingernail?
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

That's the strange part - it seems to be "under" the clear. I may not be explaining it right but almost like streaks that would be blown back while driving but the surface is smooth...

Comment

wow....thats not good news ......
        can you get closer shots??

Comment

Yeah, not good. The strange thing is, it's not anywhere near as noticable as the photos would make you think. Except, of course, for the fact that I'm now always looking at them.

Shot straight down from about 2', and from about 45 degrees and 6 inches or so away:

I'm at a loss here - this one may be beyond my capabilities so I appreciate your input.

Comment

Probably damage to the base, before the car was cleared.

Comment

That has an "acid etch" appearance to it. I wonder if it's deeply embedded much like a stain that gets absorbed?
              Black on Black - 2007 Chevy Avalanche Z71 4x4
              Personalized Detailing

Comment

Originally posted by ca2kjet View Post
                That has an "acid etch" appearance to it. I wonder if it's deeply embedded much like a stain that gets absorbed?
                That's about where I'm at on the whole thing too - and I guess it doesn't really matter what caused it, it appears to be there for good.

I've done a little research since noticing it and it seems that maybe BMW paint over the past few years is the subject of some frustration - it's a shame because the car is otherwise in very good condition and is just a ton of fun!

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');