• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1992 Faded Red Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1992 Faded Red Paint

Hello, I have a 1992 Volkswagen with faded oxidized red paint. Being drawn to the cover picture on the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, I purchased a bottle. Applied to a section of my car to test it. Really happy. Within a week of driving... its all back to the way it was before... so.....quite disappointed. I am looking for a product that lasts at least 9 months. Help?

Re: 1992 Faded Red Paint

The issue is if it was the product or the paint.

When you applied the UC, did your pad turn red?
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

yes it turned red and the section of the car looked almost new

Comment

Ok, so the pad turning red means the paint is single stage.

With single stage paint, the best thing is to get a lot of polishing oils into the surface. So something like #80 or #7 would be used after the stronger paint cleaner to try any moisturize the paint. And then waxing after.

If you use a strong paint cleaner to remove the old paint, and then work in a lot of polishing oils, that will bring back the paint as much as possible. If it still goes bad in a week... then the paint may just be becoming unstable.

Comment

Yep he speaks truth!! I have a 92 Toyota pickup, single stage paint. I used ultimate compound to clean it. Then I used a polish, Mequiars of course . Then I put on gold class carnauba wax.
          Two months and weekly washes later it still looks great! I am always amazed how a 20 year old truck can look.
          Polishing oils always make it look better than just a wax.

Comment

To add what others have said, I would clay first, then a light swirl remover like m80 or something similar, then #7, but let it soak into the paint, will be a PIA to remove but worth it, maybe 2 coats if necessary. Then top with 2 coats of UPW or Collonite 845.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
            "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Skoob, I'll take your word for it. I talked to another same-age volkswagen owner that apparently took a faded pink to a still-great-looking-red after 1.5 years with the 3 items you said. I'll post pics of results on my car

Thanks

Comment

Michael it is not the product that is the problem, it is the application method. You cannot expect any product to remove oxidation (dead paint) by hand application of a compound.

What you must do is one of two things to remove the oxidation

a. Use a 100% woven wool pad and a high speed rotary buffer to cut the dead paint off the finish and/or
                b. Wet sand the car with 1500 grit wet sandpaper until all the oxidation is gone

Probably the fastes and most effective way to do it is wetsand. Then you have to use a heavy or medium grit compound and either a poly/wool cutting pad or foam cutting pad on a rotary buffer to get ride of the sanding marks.

If you are lucky you can move then to a rotary buffer, polishing pad and swirl remover.

You apply compound to an oxidized car all you are doing is covering the oxidation up not removing it.

Regards
                Bud Abraham

Originally posted by Michael Ens View Post
                Hello, I have a 1992 Volkswagen with faded oxidized red paint. Being drawn to the cover picture on the Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, I purchased a bottle. Applied to a section of my car to test it. Really happy. Within a week of driving... its all back to the way it was before... so.....quite disappointed. I am looking for a product that lasts at least 9 months. Help?

Comment

the guy I talked to did it all by hand and recommended it. looked great 1.5 years later. Im not sure I want to go out and look for a rotary buffer quite yet

Comment

borrow a buffer if you have two that paint will come back after you remove the dull oxidized paint and put on 2 coats of a good wax
                    hi from bryants mobile detail Bryants mobile auto detailing or bryants detail | Wix.com

Comment

Could be true, but then again his car may not have been as bad as you indicate yours is.

And/or, he might have spent a great deal of time doing it.

You can probably find a used buffer on Craigs List or rent one from a rental yard.

Or, better yet find a good detailer and have him do it for you.

Merry Christmas

Bud Abraham

Originally posted by Michael Ens View Post
                      the guy I talked to did it all by hand and recommended it. looked great 1.5 years later. Im not sure I want to go out and look for a rotary buffer quite yet

Comment

I dont think what you are describing should require a rotary buffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                          Agreed. And I would be very hesitant to wetsand in this case too.

Oxidation varies in severity from vehicle to vehicle. I'd start out mild and work my way up. Wetsanding, especially if you're unfamiliar with the correct technique, can do more harm than good.

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                            +3

If a test spot with UC by hand made you happy then either hand or DA application should work. I would get a DA and a selection of pads.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
                            "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Ultimate compound, then ultimate polish, then gold class carnauba plus wax on my project car:

Clearly impressive results. Now will it last? For a test, I did the same to my 1992 daily driver so we'll see how it holds up...........

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');