• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

#4 to clean glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #4 to clean glass

so I read an older thread about using m4 to clean glass and I believe I need to do this to my vehichles as I have tried cleaning and using clay with lacking results. I was just wondering what the proper hand application would be. they say in the thread to use terry towel but the store I bought m4 had the compound but no terry towels lol. anyway they did have some terry applicators so I hope that will suffice. but do I work it in circular motions similar to polishing the paint any and all feedback is welcome and thanks in advance.

Re: #4 to clean glass

Yeah, dont overthink it. Foam applicators would be ok too. Terry just adds a little more bite if needed.

You can work in any direction you need to for the shape of the glass.

Ult. Compound or #105 would also usually be ok, if you happened to have some on hand, and didnt want to open a brand new bottle.

Really wouldnt want to use #4 or terry cloth on the paint.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

thanks murr and no I wont be using terry on the paint at all. but thanks for the heads up I was just wondering as I have never extensively cleaned glass like this. and I assume after the glass is cleaned with m4 it will be easier to apply rainx etc. o also so when done polishing the glass just wipe clean, or do I need to rinse. just asking because we just had a major snow storm through here so the use of water is out of the equation for a while. I been relying heavily on the uww anywhere.

Comment

You'll probably need some glass cleaner at least before using the RainX.

Can also clay the glass of course.

I dont know about it making things 'easier' though.... depends what the problem was in the first place.

Comment

Here's an old thread on the same topic. Read post #2 by Mike Phillips: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...-deep-cleaning

Bill

Comment

Thanks billyjack that's the thread I got it from I just wanted to make sure I understand how to do it right by hand as I don't plan on using the rotary for lack of the proper pads for one. Anyway thanks for the link

Comment

I've never used M04 on glass, so I can't speak from experience, but I don't see a problem using it by hand. Here's a pic of some of my old Meg's products:
              Right on the front of the M04 bottle from the 70's (the round bottle in the center), the label reads "Automobile Cleaner- to be used by hand". The directions say to rub it into the finish until the finish becomes slick, which I assume means when the diminishing abrasives reduce in size from the heavier grit size before rubbing. I used a lot of it in the single stage lacquer days and I agree with the directions;Rub it until it feels smooth.

Bill

Comment

Yeah, by hand on glass is fine. No need for a rotary.

Comment

Working...
                X
                gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');