• US Flag waving in the background behind three Meguiar's spray products.  Meguiar's logo 4th of July Independence Day Sale.  15% Off Sitewide plus Free Shipping Over $99.  Shop Now, Use Code JULY4.  Expires 7/7/24, Valid Online Only, Excludes Discounted Kits.
  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clean Rims with Dawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean Rims with Dawn

My car is an older model with aluminum rims and no clear coat. My wife's car is a new model with clear coat. So I am looking for a product safe on both but effective to remove brake dust, etc.

I've used the Meguiars Hot rims all wheel cleaner. I am seriously considering using Dawn on the rims. It is a powerful degreaser/surfactant. I intend to fill a small spray bottle and try it out. I wanted to check if there are any downsides to this. I will be careful and prevent overspray onto the car. Other than that I can't see any downsides to this.

Re: Clean Rims with Dawn

I would use Hot Rims

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
    "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Any downside to using Dawn besides overspray?

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian_Hawaii View Post
        Any downside to using Dawn besides overspray?
        Although most detailers pros or newbie are trained to never reach for Dawn, it does have its purposes and is a good multi-tool when used correctly.

So although I am not going to reject the Dawn idea, Sonax wheel cleaner P21S (gel or spray) and megs hot rims are all good for the job too.

It really is going to depend on the layers of grime on your wheels and how caked it is.

I keep mine cleaned regularly and always hit with a quick wax spray after washing.
        So I could pretty much clean the rims with water or a quick detailer spray alone.

But if you have grime you are going to want to go with a correct wheel cleaner and add your own aggitation where needed

Comment

I would not recommend the All Wheel cleaner on the older aluminum with out clear coat. Instead use the Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Cleaner, the blue colored bottle or else you probably will stain your rims white

Comment

Dawn mixed up in a bucket of water is not going to hurt anything.
            Nick
            Tucker's Detailing Services
            815-954-0773
            2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Originally posted by inyadreems View Post
              I would use Hot Rims
              Sorry post got cut off. I would use Megs Aluminum Wheel Cleaner on the bare aluminum wheels and Megs All Wheel and Tire on the coated wheels. The keep to keeping wheels clean or making them easier to clean is to give them a real good cleaning with a wheel cleaner, then clay and polish if needed and then a sealant like brake dust barrier. The next time your wheels get dirty the dirt will wash off very easy with just soap and water. You don't need to use a wheel cleaner every time you wash your wheels.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
              "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Thanks for the info. I use spray wax to give the rims a nice shine and protect them. I recently took stock of the variety of products and wanted to consolidate them. I thought a general purpose cleaner like Dawn would be safe and effective for both rims then follow up with the spray polish. I'll consider these comments and hints.

Comment

I wouldn't use Dawn on a car.
                  Use regular car washing soap and some APC to clean them properly.
                  Polish the rims and coat them with Brake Dust Barrier

Did you used Hot Rims on the bare Aluminum?
                  It will eat at the Aluminum and I don't recommend that.

After that Break dust Barrier is my choice to protect rims.
                  Then you can just wipe the dirt off the rims with no problem.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

A good APC concentrate will work wonders. I use my APC of choice just about full strength on wheels. I have tried dawn myself and it doesn't work as well as you would think.

Comment

I get really nervous around acidic wheel cleaners, especially on non-coated wheels. I use Purple Power; 2 parts water and one part PP on really dirty wheels, rinse and wash with a dedicated MF mitt and car wash soap. I then apply a cleaner wax (Meg's red bottle or Color X) and top with a spray wax (UQW) after each wash.

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');