• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hood in very bad condition because of tree sap and/or pollen (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hood in very bad condition because of tree sap and/or pollen (pics)

My mom has a teal 2006 Hyundai Sonata. She partially parked under a tree every night for about 4 years and I would always see very small white flowers from the tree on her hood. I tried claying and using UC (by hand) and that did not do anything and I think I scratched the paint a little. Any suggestions? I don't have a D/A but I may get one soon.

Also, how does UC scratch the paint? There is a small section in the third pic near the hood that I think I scratched a little. Also, I used UC on my vehicle before.

Thanks.

Re: hood in very bad condition because of tree sap and/or pollen (pics)

Comment

I used to be in service and sales for KIA/Mitsubishi, contact a Hyundai dealer to see if it is under any type of paint warranty, there might be a recall to cover the paint repair. Not much else to be done, maybe try Ultimate Polish to add some much needed oils to the paint. In the end, a repaint will be needed.

Comment

Hum. looks like cc failure but the defects could be just on the surface.
        Your post is a little unclear. Is all the sap off the paint? if not you might want to use Terminator, another solvent, more aggressive clay even plastic razor blade.
        Always do a test spot first.
        If the paint is good and no cc failure is seen then your going to need to buff with either a wool pad on a rotary or use the MF System to remove the scratches. But be forewarned you might not have enough cc to make it perfect but you'll defiantly improve it.
        Myself, I would solvent, Med clay, wool pad a little, MF a little, then wax and call it a day.
        I would categorize this car as neglected and wouldn't expect a miracle, but I hope you can fix it perfectly.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies! I think the sap is still on the hood. I clayed it twice but it didn't do anything. The car maybe gets washed 2 times a year and so for all that time the sap was collecting on the hood and I am not sure if it can penetrate the clear coat but the hood is definitely faded and feels rough.

Also, I used UC (by hand) on the whole car and it turned out good but I think I made the hood worse so I am not sure how that happened.

As recommended, I will look into using a polish, a solvent, a more aggressive clay and/or the wool pad or MF system. And good reminder about doing a test spot.

And maybe later down the road we could get a new hood because the rest of the paint on the car is in good condition and she doesn't park under the tree anymore.

Thanks

Comment

Since it's only washed twice a year and parks under a tree = neglected.

Another option is to wet sand it.
            3000 it's very powerful and might be the ticket. (Stoops did a post about 3000. Search it out) Followed by a wool pad/MF.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

That's CC failure - I'm definitely 110% absolutely sure.

I encountered that situation when I first started detailing. It took me 3 section passes of M83 to fully make it look like nothing happened. However, it only took 2-3 months before the clear coat started to peel. Here's the thread of what I'm talking about:
              What do you guys think about this one? (Results are in!)

The only solution to that problem is repaint.

BTW, I had 2 incidents like this and it made me go through a detailing depression. I didn't do anything detail related for more than 3 years and my car wasn't washed for 4-6 months at a time. Of course this wasn't the only cause of my depression - there were other personal things too but it was sad. That's why I'm so thankful to my friend, Mike Stoops for explaining to me that the cars I detailed were already on the verge of CC failure and I just nudged it over. THANK YOU MIKE STOOPS!!!
              2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');