• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shammy Leather question!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shammy Leather question!!!!

Hi

I have tried MF Drying towels and they made more scratches than a shammy leather.

So I bought a Dry Soft Chamois with Anti-Microbial Protection from Halfords.
    Its now falling apart because of use.

Whats better a genuine shammy or a synthetic shammy??

Thanks
    Dave
    Focus ST170
    Imperial Blue
    Climate Pack & Spoiler (3dr)
    Xenons and more...

www.allfords.net *Forum for all Fords

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with mf. My experience has been exactly the opposite. I have a number of towels from different suppliers (including Meguiar's of course!) and I've had nothing but total success. I'm addicted to them (just ask my wife).

I think it's a matter of personal taste but I'm never going back. I've demoted my natural chamois to use on steel bumpers, grill guards, spare tire racks, etc.

My favorites for drying are waffle weave mf towels like Meguiar's Water Magnet and non-woven mf "synthetic chamois" (similar to Meguiar's Microfiber Super Suede Drying Towel, which I haven't used yet but I'm looking forward to trying at "Fun Day" on the 23rd).

PVA sponge style "synthetic chamois" like "The Absorber" are also popular. I don't care for the smooth ones because they **** down to the paint too much for me. Some people swear by them. I have a couple with a waffle print texture to them that I find much easier to use.

PC.

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc
      Sorry to hear about your bad experience with mf. My experience has been exactly the opposite. I have a number of towels from different suppliers (including Meguiar's of course!) and I've had nothing but total success. I'm addicted to them (just ask my wife).

I think it's a matter of personal taste but I'm never going back. I've demoted my natural chamois to use on steel bumpers, grill guards, spare tire racks, etc.

My favorites for drying are waffle weave mf towels like Meguiar's Water Magnet and non-woven mf "synthetic chamois" (similar to Meguiar's Microfiber Super Suede Drying Towel, which I haven't used yet but I'm looking forward to trying at "Fun Day" on the 23rd).

PVA sponge style "synthetic chamois" like "The Absorber" are also popular. I don't care for the smooth ones because they **** down to the paint too much for me. Some people swear by them. I have a couple with a waffle print texture to them that I find much easier to use.

PC.

Thanks m8.

Whats the Water Magnet like???
      Is it a MF Water Magnet??

So you like the PVA shammy to the real ones??

Thanks
      Dave
      Focus ST170
      Imperial Blue
      Climate Pack & Spoiler (3dr)
      Xenons and more...

www.allfords.net *Forum for all Fords

Comment

I just got my Water Magnet last night and haven't been able to use it yet. I'll try it tonight. Others here have reported very positive results. (UPS tracking says they delivered another Meguiar's box to my house today so I should have a new Versa-Angle Tire Brush to try along with the Water Magnet tonight!)

It's mf but compared to my other ww mf towels the Water Magnet feels much heavier, denser and sturdier.

I like the PVA chamois way better than animal hides. They pick up more water, leave the surface drier, and when they saturate you can squeeze more water out of them and keep going. I love that they're easy to clean too. I just throw mine in the washing machine with my mf towels.

PC.

Comment

This subject came up for me again recently so I thought I'd add some notes.

First, I did try the Water Magnet the day after that last post. It worked great but I wasn't giving it too much of a test. A MINI Cooper doesn't hold enough water on the surface to get this thing more than a little damp. The car was totally dry and I couldn't squeeze a drop out of the towel.

On Saturday I got to try the new Microfiber Super Suede Drying Towel on my truck. I have to say I like it. It didn't seem to soak up quite as much as the Water Magnet but once it was saturated you could wring it out and keep going. It did a better job picking up water after it got wet than conventional towels. Seems to work better than the similar towel (called a "microfiber chamois" by its supplier) I already own.

By the end of the day we had used up all the microfiber towels and still had one car left to do so Mike brought out some natural chamois. These were brand new and fresh (had that new chamois smell to them big-time).

Meguiar's chamois are top quality, as good as any I've ever seen (and far better than most) but as I was drying the car's roof the first thought that popped into my head was "man, I don't miss this".

For detailing tools, I'm staying vegetarian.

PC.

Comment

Working...
          X
          gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');