• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil spill disaster!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil spill disaster!

Hey everyone, so I am in desperate need of helpful advice, here's the story.
    My girlfriend owns a. 2007 Mini Cooper S and she had some motor oil in the boot because the engine had needed a little top up. Anyways as she was driving around somehow the lid has come loose and the bottle has fallen over and leaked, this went unnoticed for some time and was only found after the bottle had been completely emptied! That's somewhere between 4 and 5 litres of oil that has soaked into carpet in the boot.
    Now on to the questions...
    How would I even begin to clean this up?
    How can I remove all of the oil?
    What products should I use?
    What tools do I need?
    What techniques should I use?
    Is there anything else I need to know?
    If you have made it this far thank you for reading my post and a huge thank you in advance to those who reply, any and all advice is welcome.

Re: Oil spill disaster!

If you can pull the carpet out, that will help greatly. Once you have it out, I would try making a solution of dawn and then using a pressure washer on the carpet. Once the oil is out, allow it to dry in the sun.

You could also search and see if there are other specialized products, but Dawn does seem to do well on oil/oil stains.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLew81 View Post
      If you can pull the carpet out, that will help greatly. Once you have it out, I would try making a solution of dawn and then using a pressure washer on the carpet. Once the oil is out, allow it to dry in the sun.

You could also search and see if there are other specialized products, but Dawn does seem to do well on oil/oil stains.
      That or just go to a junk yard and get a replacement carpet. Done.

Comment

I've tried to clean Motor Oil out of carpet and I never got it all out. I've cleaned it three different times with APC, Power Washer and a Carpet Extractor Mech. and it's still there.
        You can try but I don't think your going to get it out.
        Replacement is the best option.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

The only thing I can think of that might work would be IPA or maybe brake parts cleaner. Might end up damaging it more but sounds like you might need a new carpet anyway.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
          "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

To remove oil you will need cornstarch,brown paper.Rub the affected area with brown paper and then cover it completely with cornstarch. Brush it over the area slightly to work it into the fibers. The cornstarch will soak up the oil from the fibers, leaving you with less to scrub out later on.

Comment

you can also go to a professional cleaners like chemdry Sydney.

Comment

Working...
              X
              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');