• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about compound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about compound

Hey everyone,

Since I've been more into detailing, I've wanted my paint to shine and glow to its full potential. I've seen the Ultimate Compound on store shelfs numerous times but I never thought much of it because my paint isn't oxidized or dull or rough. And I know it's abrasive so I'm a little nervous about using it on decent looking paint.

But, as I read around here I see people using it on their cars where the paint is in good shape and it's routinely used when they detail. I just bought the clay kit, and already have Ultimate Polish, and 2 waxes that are getting low lol; NXT and GCCP. I guess my question is, what does compound really do on a car where the paint is good condition and would I even need to use it or would it not be worth possibly scratching the paint because I'm a newbie to compounding?

When my waxes run out I'm going to need more obviously haha, and I am torn between NXT 2.0 and Ultimate Wax. Probably gonna go with a paste either way though, I hear it's a little easier to use.

Thanks for the tips,
    Jack

Re: Question about compound

I think your perception of compounds scratching the car's finish is the old school stereotype of rocks in a can. Ultimate Compound is extremely safe to use and it will not scour your finish like old school compounds.

What's your paint condition like? Do you have swirls and scratches? The paint can look glossy in the shade but how does it look like under the sun?

Ultimate Compound is a paint cleaner. It removes paint and levels out swirls and scratches. It makes the paint more clear by removing the swirls/scratches that may be in your paint. For further reading, you can check out the "Step 2 - Surface Prep" section of this article: Meguiar's 5-Step Paint Care Cycle
    2011 Car Crazy Showcase SEMA Team

Comment

I did notice was a few light scratches near the driver's side front door handle. And on the flat section of the rear bumper around the bottom of the hatch, the paint feels a bit rough there. Which I thought maybe a compound could work to smoothen it a little. And by the way I'd be applying compound ( If i ever do decide to do it ) by hand. And I have read here on MOL to distribute pressure on the applicator pad evenly with my entire hand not just my fingertips or I'll end up with nasty swirls. I don't have swirls though, the paint is pretty decent.

The thing about this car I noticed was when you take a towel to it you can hear a texture in the paint and it's slick after a waxing, but could be more slick. I know clay will help a little there but this is where I think maybe UC could come in and refine my paint finish and clear up the reflections a bit. On the roof I could see the reflection of the house, and it looked so-so. Orange peel on this car isn't too bad it looks smooth it just doesn't feel smooth.

Comment

If the finish feels rough and especially if you can hear something when you wipe it, that's a job for clay, not compound.

After you've clayed it and the finish feels perfectly smooth and certainly doesn't make noise (other than maybe squeaking), then it may be appropriate to compound it.

pc

Comment

Alright. And I probably won't get to this for a while. Detailing a car out in the cold with no garage isn't fun! But I will use the clay bar on it and go from there.

Comment

If this is your daily driver and there's snow on the ground, you need the longest lasting wax....Ultimate Wax. It has great reflectivity too. Following Ultimate Polish with Ultimate Wax will give you a great result. Remember though, wax used is really a personal preference.

"fishing for swirls in a sea of black"
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            David

Comment

get the ultimate wax, i did and it was the best decision made

Comment

I would avoid trying to clay your vehicle until it is say at least 55 degrees F. The clay needs more temperature to work effectively. I tend to clay twice a year, once in April, and once in October.

Comment

Yes the Mazda is my daily. So with all the salt they put down when we only get 1" of snow here all gets on the car -__-

And I also need more temperature to want to be outside with the car all day haha, I won't be doing all this until the Spring.

From what I understand, I don't need to use compound on my car. And the texture I hear when I wipe the car with a towel is the need for a claying, and not a compound job.

Comment

The clay will be for the roughness.

Once the surface is smooth, you can decide if you want to worry about a few swirls or not. To fix that area, you may need UC, or may be able to use a milder cleaner. But that is just up to you if you want to work on fixing them.

Generally, you would at least want to use some kind of a cleaner after claying before waxing to remove the dirt fron the surface. The Ult. Polish you got, or a cleaner/wax, or something similar would be the milder things to use, but wont do as much for any scratches/swirls, esp if used by hand.
                    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Would it be a good idea to use Meg's Cleaner Wax after using the clay bar? Or is the Polish I have a good enough cleaner to where I don't need to use cleaner wax?

Also, would it be good to rinse off the car or even wash it a second time after I'm all finished with claying? Maybe just to break loose any more dirt to prevent it from being rubbed on the paint when i go to polish. I highly doubt the car was was ever clayed so there is probably a lot of stuck on grit and grime.

Comment

No need to rinse the car after claying, unless you were to clay with the car still wet/soapy in the first place.

Wash
                        Clay
                        Ult. Polish
                        Wax
                        Wax

would be a good detail if no real defects to remove. Or adding in the UC before the UP if needed.

A quick detail can look like

Wash
                        Clay if wanted
                        cleaner/wax of some sort
                        Wax

and that is really easy to get good results.

Comment

Got it. Before I waxed the car a few weeks ago I didn't notice any swirls marks on the paint. I'm just gonna say I don't need compound. Well, now I know. Thanks for the help guys!

When I do a detail, I always make sure the door jams look nice and clean. Anyone ever give them a waxing? Probably not necessary because they aren't really exposed to the elements much. I got roped into buying a big 32oz bottle of this "IBIZ" wax for $20 at the Philly Auto Show last month. Not overly impressed with it, so I'm going to have to use it up where I don't want to waste the good stuff ( my Meguiar's products of course! )

Comment

yeah, the door jambs are a good place to use up random waxes, or the Cleaner/Wax samples that used to come in a lot of kits.

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');