• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microfiber towel static

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microfiber towel static

Has anyone tried using an antistatic spray on their towels prior or after washing or drying them ? I have seen lint and dust sometimes where my polishing stops under a halogen light and i realize polishing is similiar to rubbing a balloon in effect.

Re: Microfiber towel static

DON'T USE ANYTHING
    You don't want to put anything on your towels, ever
    Personally I wash mine three times and put vinegar in the final rise, this opens the up the MF's.
    I then dry them until they are damp and then run them for an hour with no heat.
    I have found this process gets all the dirt & lint off.
    My towels are my tools and my tools need to be perfect.
    You can tell a detailer by his towels.
    I never have extreme static, just a little but this goes away and on the job my towels have very little, if any static.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

If you don't put the MF towels in the dryer after washing them, there will be no static on the towels. Also, I keep my MF towels in plastic grocery bags when I am not using them to keep dust and other things from getting on the towels.

Comment

I like those blue dryer ball thingies that bounce around in the dryer.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
          I like those blue dryer ball thingies that bounce around in the dryer.
          Please elaborate, what is this?

DetailingByM.com

Comment

^^ +1

...and are you saying they prevent static?
            Originally posted by Blueline
            I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Car Potential View Post
              If you don't put the MF towels in the dryer after washing them, there will be no static on the towels.
              This is interesting, I may have to try it.

Only problem is, I find they come out much softer after being in the dryer, as opposed to air drying.
              Originally posted by Blueline
              I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I'd say don't skip the dryer. Lint is a bigger problem then static so skipping the dryer is going to leave lint in your towels.
                Static is an electrical charge on your towels. So all you really need to do is discharge it. Make sure you dryer is properly grounded. Put your towels on your dryer or washer for a little while and this might discharge the Static. Another way is to make a grounding pole, wire and a brass screen sheet or just a wire. Run this over the towels and this will discharge the static.
                Also placing the towels on another fabric will discharge it. If I have a small load I'll leave my towels on the couch for a day to discharge them and this works.

But all this work might make this work for nothing is the actually car itself. Some cars hold alot of static and it will transfer to your towels in an instant.
                If this happens I use a spray on wash that has a Antistatic in it and this helps a Little. Usually enough to not let dust stick to it.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

He's talking about the dryer ball. You can buy them at Walmart or sometimes your local grocery store. They can be found in the detergent aisle.

Comment

Like these:

I dont know that I'd say prevents... but seem to come out fairly nice for me.

Comment

are these rubber? I don't like that. They will get cought up in the MF.
                      And this review say it does nothing for static.
                      But if you say they work I'll get some. They sound good and I don't realy belive in just one persons bad review about somthing.
                      I really would like somthing like this to reduce lint and static.

22 of 24 people found the following review helpful

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for baby clothes May 17, 2006
                      By P. Davis
                      ........... No, they don't do squat for static cling

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Like mentioned, I wont say static free... but I feel like I have gotten fluffier results in the drier without softeners or more than a little static. Though that could differ by parts of the country, or machine as well.

They are like a rubbery plastic. I was worried about damage, but have not seen extra wear on towels, or clothing.

I have washed new household terry towels and then ran them in the drier with the balls for a while to get them to stop linting/shedding... that seemed to work very well for me. I will highly recomend for household towels and sheets if nothing else. And they should be about $5 in a Target type store.... not that Amazon price.

Comment

I'm defantly getting these. they sound great.
                          So where can I find them? Target, wally world, ralphs?

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Yeah, Target, Walmart...

Its not bad for $5 to see what you think... definatley household stuff if nothing else, and wouldnt be bad to see if my thoughts are crazy or not.

Comment

^ Not crazy at all. I used 6 of them for quite some time. They stop laundry from tangling. They do make a different.
                              2010 Subaru Legacy GT - Graphite Gray Metallic

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');