• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natural Boars hair brush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Boars hair brush

Are natural boars hair brushes (Montana's boars hair brush) safe to use on paint? I have been using a two bucket wash method with grit guards and a natural boars hair brush. After this winter on my 2012 MINI I noticed a significant amount of swirls when viewed at the right angle in the sun. I am assuming most of the swirls ae from a couple of quick details done on a car possibly too dirty to be quick detailed but wanted to double check on the use of the brush.

I really like using it because it carries a ton of water and soap to the car from the buckets and is very easy and fast when used on an extension pole.

Re: Natural Boars hair brush

They are supposed to be safe, assuming good quality one.
    2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Lately I've been hearing that the good quality ones are safe.

I still don't think I would trust one though. It just doesn't feel right to me taking to your paint with a brush.

Your swirls may be evidence of that, or maybe just better technique is required.
      Originally posted by Blueline
      I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

I use a Montana boars hair brush in the winter months...think they are safe when used with grit guards. I'll make my paint perfect and then wash exclusively with my Montana brush to see what kind of swirls are produced....hopefully none. But by many accounts and reviews, boars hair brushes are very gentle on paint.
        "STRIFE" aka Phil
        2005 Infiniti G35 Coupe (IP/ aka White) the Toy
        2011 Subaru Impreza (SWP/ aka White) the DD
        2017 Subaru Forester (CWP/ aka White) Wifey's

Comment

oh god no! Why are you using a brush?
          That is just asking for problems, as your finding out.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Please Wash Me Detailing View Post
            oh god no! Why are you using a brush?
            That is just asking for problems, as your finding out.
            I use a Montana boars hair brush when it gets really cold up here in Canada, but I don't think it's causing any swirls.
            I have several DA's and a huge assortment of foam & MF pads...and an assortment of compounds. I do not detail for money as this is just a hobby.
            If the boars hair brushes are causing swirls...then I can enjoy my hobby

Maybe you're thinking of the regular washbrushes made with nylon hairs?
            "STRIFE" aka Phil

Comment

Boy, you must be really short to need an extension pole to wash a MINI.

Sorry, sorry, just kidding around, I couldn't resist.

The thing I've found with BHB's is that they can be too gentle.

I love that they hold lots of water and that the delicate tips can dislodge large, chunky, gritty dirt, giving it someplace to go without pressing it into the finish.

But they aren't very good at removing stubborn films of dirt.

And I think people tend to scrub with them, never a good thing, rather than lightly brushing. When you scrub you bend the bristles over on their sides and grind them into the finish rather than letting the fine, delicate tips do the work.

I normally break out the BHB if I have a lot of gritty dirt that I want to knock loose and rinse away instead of pressing against it with a mitt. But I usually follow that up with a mitt to remove any film

pc

Comment

Originally posted by the other pc View Post
                Boy, you must be really short to need an extension pole to wash a MINI.

Sorry, sorry, just kidding around, I couldn't resist.

The thing I've found with BHB's is that they can be too gentle.

I love that they hold lots of water and that the delicate tips can dislodge large, chunky, gritty dirt, giving it someplace to go without pressing it into the finish.

But they aren't very good at removing stubborn films of dirt.

And I think people tend to scrub with them, never a good thing, rather than lightly brushing. When you scrub you bend the bristles over on their sides and grind them into the finish rather than letting the fine, delicate tips do the work.

I normally break out the BHB if I have a lot of gritty dirt that I want to knock loose and rinse away instead of pressing against it with a mitt. But I usually follow that up with a mitt to remove any film

pc
                I have noticed that about the BHB (to gentle and won't remove stubborn dirt), but it does deliver the soap and water. I may need to start doing as you suggest and do scrubbing with a mitt.

Comment

On a well waxed vehicle, I can tell ya, a BHB works great for me...I have no complaints
                  "STRIFE" aka Phil

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');