• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Removing sap from car paint.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing sap from car paint.

Best suggestions for removing sap from paint? The car is a 2009 Cadillac CTS with white pearl paint.
    Art Layton
    2009 Jetta TDI

Re: Removing sap from car paint.

Tamanator of WD40

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Or glass cleaner.
      2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Glass cleaners are alcohol base, isn't made for paint, won't dissolve the sap and will damage your paint.
        You need a solvent, cold solvent not a hot solvent like gas or goo gone.

WD40 is an excellent cold solvent and most people have it in their garage already.

Is this soft or hard sap?
        If it's soft then you can use a solvent
        If it's hard then you need to chip it off the paint carefully. A solvent won't take crystallized sap off a car only elbow grease will.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Originally posted by DogParkGuy View Post
          Best suggestions for removing sap from paint? The car is a 2009 Cadillac CTS with white pearl paint.
          Depends on the type of sap and how old it is. Have you tried anything yet?

Have you tried clay? I have used clay, tarminator, WD40, 3M adhesive remover and IPA mix to remove sap. IPA as the last option. Remember to seal or wax the area after you are finished. Polish if necessary too.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
          "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Thanks. Sap is dried and may have been there for years. Will first clay after washing, then use wd40 along with elbow grease.
            Art Layton
            2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

Originally posted by DogParkGuy View Post
              Thanks. Sap is dried and may have been there for years. Will first clay after washing, then use wd40 along with elbow grease.
              If its that old good chance the clear will be etched from the sap.

http://www.meticulous-detail.com/
              "The Prep makes the Pop, not what's on Top"

Comment

Will provide pictures next week after work is completed.
                Art Layton
                2009 Jetta TDI

Comment

Goof Off or some Tarminator, As said above you need a solvent.

Just be careful not to get it on the plastic trim.
                  Nick
                  Tucker's Detailing Services
                  815-954-0773
                  2012 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

I am just wondering. Would anyone know where to get Tarminator near Toronto? I have looked everywhere and do not seem to find it. Also, why is it bad to use Goo Gone or a hot solvent? I do not know the difference and it says on the bottle of Goo Gone that it was made for this purpose.

Comment

What about using the Nanoskin Autoscrub? I have tarmin also, but wondered about hitting the sap with the Nano with lube of course. It's only a day or so old.
                      Show N Shine Car Detailing - Quality Care, Each and Every Time

Comment

Fresh sap usually comes off easily with clay, or the clay substitutes.
                        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by vctrku View Post
                          I am just wondering. Would anyone know where to get Tarminator near Toronto? I have looked everywhere and do not seem to find it. Also, why is it bad to use Goo Gone or a hot solvent? I do not know the difference and it says on the bottle of Goo Gone that it was made for this purpose.
                          I suggest turtlewax bug and tar remover.
                          This stuff does a great job, is found in most stores, and is really really cheap. I have never not solved a tar issue with this stuff.

If your having issues finding the other stuff this may be a worthy replacement. Good luck with the issue.

Comment

I second the TW B & T R. I have a few bottles of it and found it really does a great job.

Sorry Meguiar's, don't hold me to that, lol
                            Show N Shine Car Detailing - Quality Care, Each and Every Time

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');