• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Girlfriend brought a used black passat, need some suggestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girlfriend brought a used black passat, need some suggestions!

Hi all, new to the forum. Been looking around have a general idea, but still need some suggestions. I've used a clay bar, DC paint cleaner, ultimate compound, ultimate polish, and then nxt wax (in that order) on my yellow mustang last summer. Did it all by hand and it came out amazing.

My girlfriend's black 2008 passat has some swirls and scratches, and I'm not sure if the ultimate compound will help the swirls. Saw that I should be cautioned using scratch x on black paint. Don't want to make the post too long so I'll just leave it up to the experts for some tips.

I'm thinking about getting the megiuars ultimate care kit for $88 on amazon, (ultimate wash, compound, polish, wax, black, protectant, quick detailer, and some microfibers and a mitt. Seems like a good deal, any thoughts/what else I should buy? Worth it to buy a DA polisher?
    Thanks in advance!

Re: Girlfriend brought a used black passat, need some suggestions!

Wecome to MOL!

All paints are different, so it's hard to say exactly what you'll need without doing a test spot first.

It sounds like you already have some products from doing your Mustang. I would start with a test spot of the UP first. That's a pretty mild product, so if that doesn't get rid of the swirls, step it up to the DCPC. If that's no good, step up to UC.

If you still get no joy, report back here for further advice
    Originally posted by Blueline
    I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

If you can go for the DA i just bought one and i must say hell to heaven! I love it, easier, safer, and faster.

Comment

^^ I agree - but then most people here will tell you that!

btw - I just thought I'd point out to the OP that you used the products on your Mustang in the wrong order, and probably did one too many steps.

You should have gone: clay bar, ultimate compound, ultimate polish, and then nxt wax.

Just for future reference
        I own a silver vehicle and a black vehicle owns me. The black one demands attention, washing, detailing, waxing and an occasional dinner out at a nice restaurant. The silver one demands nothing and it looks just fine. I think the black vehicle is taking advantage of me, and the silver car is more my style. We can go out for a drive without her makeup and she looks fine. If I want to take the black one out, it is three or four hours in the "bathroom" to get ready.

Comment

Not positive how to reply to people individually (going to have to look that up), but thanks for the help so far! I had assumed the UC would be getting some swirls out, and UP would be more of achieving that "high shine" look before wax.
          Most of my products got eaten by the garage monster, so I will be buying all new products this year-why the ultimate kit on amazon looks tempting!
          Davey- I think I did use too many steps, I may be wrong but DC paint cleaner and UC do mostly the same thing, yes? And I think I did it in the right order, clay, DC paint cleaner, Ultimate compound, ultimate polish, then wax.
          Seeing as how I'm sure the girlfriend won't give me her car for more than a day, I think purchasing a DA (megiuars price is tempting) will be in the near future!

Comment

Well yeah, too many steps mainly. But if you were going to do all those steps, the UC and DCPC are the wrong way around.

UC is more agressive than DCPC, so you would use it first.

Comment

Not positive how to reply to people individually (going to have to look that up), but thanks for the help so far! I had assumed the UC would be getting some swirls out, and UP would be more of achieving that "high shine" look before wax.
              Yeah, esp working by hand, probably going to end up with the UC and a smooth foam applicator for defect removal. But never know for sure, so start small and check your work before doing the whole car.

Davey- I think I did use too many steps, I may be wrong but DC paint cleaner and UC do mostly the same thing, yes? And I think I did it in the right order, clay, DC paint cleaner, Ultimate compound, ultimate polish, then wax.
              DC paint cleaner (discontinued anyway) was just a very mild cleaner, mostly just for dirt. No real defect removal.

UC is a strong paint cleaner for defect removal.

UP is a mild cleaner/polish, can do a little defect removal, esp by machine, and has a lot of polishing oils.

So yeah, the DC paint cleaner wasn't needed, and out of order. No reason to go mild-strong-mild, unless doing test spots.
              2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Murr1525 View Post
                So yeah, the DC paint cleaner wasn't needed, and out of order. No reason to go mild-strong-mild, unless doing test spots.
                I see it now! I appreciate the guidance. Will definitely be going with the ultimate line, and testing small spots first. May pick up some scratch x for her bigger scratches and test a spot on the roof. Really thinking about the DA, but being in college with no money ***** some times. Saw the DA power system with UC, UP, and UWax with the pads for $68, Gonna be hard to pass up when the professional DA is $175. Any thoughts on if the extra cash is worth it? I'm just picturing my drill falling and denting the car I'm sure once my family sees how her car looks the DA (which ever one I get) will get a decent amount of use. Decisions, decisions...

Comment

The Power System works, just smaller areas at a time. Wouldn't want to make a business using it I don't think.
                  2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

I've worked by hand before and had excellent results. Or buying a D/A would be a lot easier. If you do get a D/A I would get the normal one instead of the smaller one but either one works.

I would:

1) Wash
                    2) Clay
                    3) Ultimate Compound
                    4) Ultimate Polish (optional but is well worth it)
                    5) Wax (Ultimate Wax is my favorite and then M26)

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');