• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Clay or not to clay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Clay or not to clay?

About 5 or 6 weeks ago, I did the 5-step. This was my first time doing and in-depth detail. I was quite impressed at my accomplishment, thanks to Meguiars. The only thing that did concern me is the fact that there are still light swirls. After researching some more on here and watching a Mike Phillips video on-line, I learned that my actions with the DA polisher was way to fast. It took me about 2 hrs to complete the process from claying to waxing on my '13 Sierra. I didn't realize that I have to go slower and do more passes on each section. Now, I want to do the 5-step again but this time using black wax. Do I need to clay again or would I get away without it?

Re: To Clay or not to clay?

I feel you can get away with it, black wax is rich in polishing oils as well as mild cleaners, so if any swirls are still left, it can be removed or at least concealed with black wax. It can be a base for a cleaner free wax (Gold Class, NXT 2.0, or Ultimate) for maximum depth.

Comment

A simple baggie test will let you know if the car will need to be clayed.
      2012 Acura CBP TL SH-AWD Tech

Comment

Yeah, if the paint still feels smooth you really dont need to clay again.
        2017 Subaru WRX Premium - WR Blue

Comment

Thank you all for the quick replies. C8N, thank you for posting that interesting reply. As a noobie to all this, I have never heard of the baggie test so I googled it and found an interesting video on that. I will defiantely try that. Thanks again everyone.

Comment

Clay, always classy. the car has been exposed to the outside than it has contaminants on it.
            you have no idea what's on your paint so just clay it will be a quick, but clay it. Always clay.

DetailingByM.com

Comment

Working...
            X
            gtag('config', 'UA-161993-8');